Crazy things youve done because of OCD.

mwjskks

Here's one I did a while ago.
Drove 20 minutes back to a county fair that my parents had convinced me to go to the day before, once there I bought a ticket and went back thorough the course that I walked through the day before except in reverse, so that I could undo the negative energy that my ocd convinced me the fair had put upon me.

Didn't buy new clothes until I had only 1 shirt left, then finally decided I HAD to buy some clothes so I bought about 5 shirts and returned them all the next day, because it seemed like it caused some negative energy type thing. But I still needed clothes so I bought some the next day from a different store, then I returned about half of them, and got some different ones, and returned about half of those, but I finally was able to get some clothes.

dottie

wow that's pretty extreme. i don't have any extreme stories like that. my ocd just tends to be this omnipresent thing that most of the time i don't even notice anymore.

an example of one of my weird ocd traits is that i feel as though i have a cord attached to my back and if i spin in one direction, i have to spin in the other direction so this invisible cord doesn't get tangled. if i walk into a room (in showers, etc) i have to turn in such manners so the cord doesn't get tangled. i'm not even concious about that one most of the time, i just do it on autopilot. this is one among 234789234s.

mwjskks

Haha, I have the cord thing too, except with me I feel like if the cord gets wrapped around something, it will like cause the energy of the thing that I wrapped around to become a part of me.

If there is a real threat that makes carrying out one of my compulsions too risky, I can tell myself that it was the universes way of telling me, that it is better the way it is. For example I kind of like one way streets and stuff, because then I can just say to myself: "there is NO WAY i am going to drive backwards down a street to "undo" something." And I dont do it for most things, only when I feel like im in a different state of mind after doing something, but I usually think about it for most things.

The worst are places that I last remember being at a long time ago, because I fear that by going to that place it will cause me to return to the state of mind I was in at that time.

Thats so weird that the stuff that ocd causes are so similar among different people. That clearly seems to indicate that it is a chemical thing, all of the compulsions, seem to be to make people feel like everything is even, clean, or whatever.

siren_0_0

I've done some pretty crazy things b/c of OCD lol but I don't remember them or don't want to. I'm recovering so I don't know if it's a good idea to remember them atm, maybe when I'm 90% better, (I think I'm about 80% better) I'm little miss optimistic lol. I'll try to remember them and laugh. right now I don't think it'll make me feel good to remember all the pain I been thru and shame I had felt bc of OCD...

paulmm

my ocd is centered around not letting 'guilty thoughts' influence my life. and since my ocd is pretty bad, this becomes almost impossible at times. if i am obsessing about something i feel guilty about (usually a sexual obsession), i cant let it affect my life in any way, especially not let it benefit me, because i feel like i dont deserve to benefit from disgusting thoughts, etc.

i do 'crazy' things because of ocd almsot daily. i obsess about how a guilty thought will prevent me from enduring some kind of pain or terrible situation, and then put myself in harms way to avoid the feeling that i dont deserve my well-being. ill go to places i know are dangerous becaues i feel like my 'guilty thoughts' have kept me out of harm's way, and so my compulsion is to put myself into harms way. otherwise i feel very dissociative because i feel like i have avoided a huge disaster unfairly. kind of like that movie "final destination".

Crazy red string.

Thank you so much for posting this! I can't believe other people had the 'chord in the back' thing too! I'm so amazed.

From the age of about six, I had this thing where I thought a big red piece of string was coming from my back and I used to have to make sure it wouldn't get tangled by turning back in directions I had turned and following my route.

The most crazy thing I ever did, was stealing a bottle opener from my nan - one she got in a cracker for Christmas. I took it on Christmas day because I had a feeling that if I didn't bad things would happen.

lizard714

my OCD is mostly negative energy too, or i get really anxious when i do stuff out of routine... i have to park in the same spot and if i develop a stigma against something like a song or a route during driving i can never use it or listen to the song again. i have to turn my car on the same every time, shower the same, use my phone the same, everything is routine it fucking sucks!

lizard714

i just saw above the thing about returning to the state of mind, i completely know what you mean i cant go certain places i know i was when i was going through shitty times for fear ill get back into that or the bad stuff will happen again...

dottie

ok here is another wierd one... really wierd.

when i drive, i notice tall poles (usually street lights or telephone poles) in the corner of my eye. this is really wierd i don't know why i do this, sometimes i don't even notice myself doing this. but when i see these posts in the corner of my eye i flex my butt cheeks (haha i said it was weird) as soon as i am driving by the post. at the same time i imagine myself having ran and jumped over that street post, almost like mario would do in a video game. it's like an invisible version of me is running parallel with the car and jumping over posts. i am crazy.

when i drive and go under a light that has turned yellow, i close my eyes because it is almost like bad luck if my eyes catch the light turning red while i am still passing underneath. i don't believe in it but at the same time i practice this.

Sponglewang

Ok heres some wierd shit I did when I was like 14 I'm 26 now but occasionally still do things of this nature...

I had to put my bottom row of teeth in front of my top row of teeth and rub them against each other in multiples of 4 all whilst thinking about whatever OCD thingy I was bothered about at the time (It involved this time when I got accidentley hit in the head with a golf club and I told myself that he did it on purpose to which I'd reply to myself "no he didnt.. which he didnt) So I had to think of this guy and all these other guys in multiples of four whilst doing the teeth thing...

The thing is I kept fucking it up so I had to do it again but b4 I did I'd have to do a pre teeth ritual and if I fucked THAT up i'd have to do a pre pre ritual ad nauseum...

one of the pre rituals was walking down the stairs of my house and then walking back up them... no shit I must have walked up and down those fkin stairs about 200 times that day. In the end I couldnt get it right and I Ended up bein a blubbering mess.

It was tortureous at the time but lookin back on it it's bloody hilarious :)

I do the mario-style thing too. I imagine myself running alongside the car and jumping over things.
I thought that was just the product of an overactive imagination.

Musicocd

Wow I do the mario thing too! Is it actually anything to do with ocd though, or is it actually just an overactive imagination? ...

dottie

omfg TWO other people here do the mario thing. i cannot believe it!!! i know this sounds weird but do you flex your muscles at the same time as imagining jumping over the poles... or do you just imagine jumping over them? i'm kind of excited to think i'm not the only one who does this.

another thing i do is... my mom has a plastic orange bowl. for some reason orange is a color i relate to vomiting (maybe because as a kid i puked spaghetti and it was orange). anyways, i would never eat out of the orange bowl because it might curse me to throw up. logically i know this is not true but even to this day i won't eat out of it if there are other bowls. i kind of feel guilty, bad for this orange bowl, like its feelings would be hurt because i have singled it out as a bad object. sometimes i feel guilt towards inanimate objects, personification. i know if anyone i knew read this they would think i'm batshit crazy. maybe i am.

Synaesthesia.

You know, the orange bowl thing almost sounds like something called synaesthesia. Incase you don't know what that is, it's a condition where a person's senses become 'united'. So a person can 'smell' a colour, or taste a piece of music.

Just because of the whole thing about how you relate 'orange' to 'vomit'.

rado31

i did drink wine from a glass that had been broken when acquitance did cheers thing. i did it imediately
it is like that with me. glass is either full either empty
i know it sounds weird, and funny. i got compulsions on some trivial things. hope so.

blahh

Yeah, I've done plenty of crazy stuff. The worst obsession I've ever had happened while I was in Santiago Spain. I was practicing NOT doing ocd things, but for some reason, when I couldn't stand it any longer, I walked out of the door of a building and touched it wrong, and it hit me like, ten fold. But I didn't go back because I was trying not to give in. And i didn't want people to notice. For the entire month that I was in Spain it haunted me, because I thought that if I didn't touch the door right before i went back to the u.s., i would probably never have the chance to return there and do it, and terrible things would happen. A few days before i returned to the states I took a 10 hour bus ride back to Santiago and touched the door. I felt absolutely ridiculous!! I'm a pretty rational person, I just don't understand how I can convince myself that something so irrational is true. How could a door have any effect on my life whatsoever?? It's insane..fuck chemical imbalances!!

zeke24

WOW three people do mario style thing too?!!!! lol this is amazing i cant believe it, and i also thought it was just imagination. thats a shock that other people do this

peater

left a party so i could go back home and sit in my room to analyze a stupid thought that was completely meaningless

nurse

No way! I do that with fence posts and Tony Hawk ! I don't clench cheeks together though. I did like to try and time it with music. I didn't even know that was an OCD thing! I thought I just had a really vivd imagination! haha.