Crazy things youve done because of OCD.

nurse

In response to the door knob situation, I can't tell you how many times I've made myself late because of that feeling of "touching or seeing it wrong" door knobs, words, it all has to "feel right and comfortable" to me before I can let it go.

The worst is when you do it right, then as you are hurredly trying to exit the room or the situation, your foot gets hung up or something profoundly rediculous like you get distracted. And you glance at the object of your obsession again, and you're right back in the damn cycle of trying to do it right so you can let it go and move on! AHHHHH!

nurse

When I was about 9 (I'm 27 now), I had this thing I would do that if my older brother would say a cuss word, like fuck or shit, I would have to reverse it by balling my fist up and puting it right in the middle of my head and ask god to forgive him for cussing. The strange thing is I've never even prayed like that in my life except to reverse his bad language! HAHA. I'm curious to know, how many of you clean with your own spit?

Generical

lol i'm pretty sure i dont have ocd so i probs shouldn't be here but yeah i used to do the mario thing all the time, usually to a beat i had in my head.

Also thinking about it i used to have to do something in order to stop something bad from happening....even though it was totally irrational.

Aaaaand i kinda have a fear of vomiting, so on the rare occasions i did, a long time after the day it happened i would get sketched out going in the same place it happened, especially when it was the same day of the week.

But this was when i was a kid mostly.

LaLaLa

hmm I don't think I've ever done anything particularly crazy. I just get a bit paranoid over the usual things like securing door locks, taps, fridge doors and obsessing over some other thoughts...

geeked

I do the mario thing too (minus the butt cheeks)! I also personify inanimate objects all of the time, even though I know it's rediculous. I know exactly what you mean about the guilt thing.

holy crap...I am amazed at the amount of people who do the mario thing (I dont flex my muscle though...just imagine jumping over stuff), I seriously just thought my mind was bored so it decided to be creative...

gobbledegook

If I'm writing something, like a letter, and I make a mistake then I normally have to start it all over again. It really annoys me but in my mind crossing out things is messy :D I think I am too much of a perfectionist lol :roll:

I once spent the whole night walking around in circles, I must have done it for atleast like 4 hours. I've also just written an entire page of the word why.

QUEEN_SJO

I CUT MY BANGS SO SHORT THT PPL DDNT BLIEVE I USED SCISSORS AND NOT AN ELECTRIC RAZOR. I WAS IN 7TH GRADE. I JUS GRADUATED HIGH SCHOOL 2 YRS AGO AND 2 THIS DAY THT PART OF MY HAIR WONT GROW PAST 2 INCHES

treffin

This might not have been caused by OCD, but today I repeatedly smelled a a few fingers on my left hand because they smelled like semen. 8O

QUEEN_SJO

THERE R SO MANY SCARY SITUATIONS WIT OCD. I REMEMBER WHN I WAS YOUNGER MY OCD COMPELLED MY 2 GRAB A KNIFE AND WALK UP 2 MY GRANDMOTHER WIT IT BCUZ THE THOT WULDNT LEAVE SO I NEEDED HER 2 STOP ME 4RM ACTUALLY DOIN IT AND ASSURE ME I WULDNT.
BUT WHO NOS WHT WULDVE HAPPENED IF SHE DDNT UNDERSTAND MY OCD OR NOTICE WHT I WAS DOIN
I ALSO REMEMBER MAKING MY MOM SAY "NO" A LOT AT RANDOM TIMES 2 REVERSE THINGS THT HAPPENED OR SUMTHNG SUM1 SAID. I HAD 2 SAY NO THN SHE HAD 2 SAY NO THEN I WULD DO THIS WEIRD HOLDING MY BREATH FOR A FEW SECS AND SAY OK.

treffin said:
This might not have been caused by OCD, but today I repeatedly smelled a a few fingers on my left hand because they smelled like semen. 8O

hahah I actually do something similar...I usually smell my tennis racket head before a point because it smells like chlorine and I felt that if I didnt smell it then I would lose...

IanMcElroy

hello everyone. I'm a highschool student with OCD and am also doing a seminar for my sociology class on it and was wondering if anyone who has OCD and has suffered with workplace compatability due to it would allow me an interview over a forum or msn. Of course nicknames and aliases for both yourself and your workplace are entirely acceptable and you need not divulge anything your not comfortable with. at the end of the interview you may decide what, if any, information I should exclude from submission. thanx for your time :)

dottie

IanMcElroy said:
hello everyone. I'm a highschool student with OCD and am also doing a seminar for my sociology class on it and was wondering if anyone who has OCD and has suffered with workplace compatability due to it would allow me an interview over a forum or msn. Of course nicknames and aliases for both yourself and your workplace are entirely acceptable and you need not divulge anything your not comfortable with. at the end of the interview you may decide what, if any, information I should exclude from submission. thanx for your time :)

define workplace compatability please.

mre33

anyone with an obsession about writing their name? i sometimes will sign my name all over everything until i feel i have perfectly signed it. Even then when i go to sign some legal document i will practice sign on a scratch paper to make sure i'm going to do it right on the document. Once i started doing it on the back of a test in elementary....teacher was a bit confused...side note i have caught myself doin mario thing as well.... bizarre way to entertain urself but it's really annoying when someone starts talkin to you and then you realize you just forgot to jump over about 10 poles so ur start looking behind you and jumping in super mario speed to catch up....

princess_haru

Woah, I used to do the invisible thread thing all the time when I was little, and I never thought anyone else would do the same thing! 8O If I went out shopping with my family I always felt a lot happier if we took the same route home so that my thread didn't become tangled around something. It was more of an energy trail than a literal thread, even though I visualised it as a thread. If it became tangled I felt as if part of my energy was left behind, stuck in the places I'd been!

I also used to have recurring dreams about a spool of thread unravelling across a blank landscape. I'd be running after it, trying to keep it from tangling, but it always ended up in a knotted mess and I'd wake up feeling panicky. I was probably around 6 or 7 at the time.

The Mario thing... as soon as I read about it I felt a twang of recollection. I'm pretty sure I used to do that, too!

OMG the invisible thread!!! I thought I was the only one who ever did that!!!

Where I live, during the spring time, there are these bushes that grow yellow flowers, and everyone seems to have one. I started counting them...and kept counting for about a month. I think I got up to somewhere near 700, and that's only because I was so scared I had missed one, I'd re-count every single one.

Also, I created an imaginary friend once. After awhile even I got tired of having to maintain him, but I was scared that if I just "deleted" him, I'd somehow be "deleted" as well, so I imagined him taking a job in Milwaukee. Six or seven years later, to this day, I am aware of "Rocko" and his new job, new home, new wife, and two small children. :?

I thought that I was alone with the Mario style thing. With me I imagine a little cartoon guy riding a bicycle along the side walk or whatever is beside the road on my side of the car. He has to jump over any sort of obstacles that come in his path but he also has to flip while he is at the highest point of his jump.
This was at its worst when I was a little kid and used to watch my imaginary bike-guy for hours on end in car rides. I actually couldn't stop watching him, if I looked away I felt like I was being irresponsible. I also couldn't think of him jumping and him not doing the little flip in the air. I would try, but every single time he would flip.
I had no idea that other people did something like this. It certainly isn't something that you would ever come across in a list of OCD symptoms.

princess_haru

It's amazing how many of us have the invisible thread and Mario thing in common! Hmm... maybe these shared imaginings aren't imaginings at all, but some sort of sixth sense we share? 8O The invisible thread could be our way of visualising the energy we give off and leave behind us in a trail (which is always the way I've seen it really)! Not sure what the Mario thing could mean... anyone?

I used to do the "Mario" thing too, and my head hurts just thinking about it lol. He used to ride a motorcycle along the power lines, or he'd be running along the tops of the other cars and somersaulting from lane to lane. I'm still trying to figure that one out!

The invisible thread thing, I'm working on. But, if I ever get into trouble, at least I'll be able to tell the cops EXACTLY where I was! :D