Gamers thread

Megaten

Maybe not completely ban, but require developers to build a censored version. For example the censored version of Left 4 Dead 2 had very little if any gore. You would shoot zombies and there were no bullet wounds and no blood. Killing Floor 2 just so happens to be a particularly gory game, so I suspect something similar is going to happen. Funny thing is games like GTA4 and 5 weren't banned or altered at all in Australia, and as far as I know, the things you can do in that game are much more 'adult' than just mowing down monsters.

I think Germany is pretty strict with game classifications as well, especially with games that involve any nazi imagery.

Yeah GTA 5 has full on sex, drugs and genocide. That's odd.

Argentum

I finally got the Daily Challenge achievement in Crypt of the NecroDancer. All it cost me was my sanity. I've been at it for a couple months since I bought the game.

Megaten

Any of you guys messing around with the new Monster Hunter? Im just now trying it for the first time and its more complicated than I was expecting lol.

Ithior

Has anyone played Terraria? I feel like it's pretty similar to Minecraft, perhaps with a bit of an RPG element to it. I'm not sure if it's actually fun to play though.

squidgee

Has anyone played Terraria? I feel like it's pretty similar to Minecraft, perhaps with a bit of an RPG element to it. I'm not sure if it's actually fun to play though.

I haven't played Minecraft so I can't compare, but I had a pretty good time with Terraria. You can do all the crafting, exploration and building stuff, but there's also a 'main quest' of sorts, where your end goal is to acquire the best possible gear in the game which requires you to go to different biomes/dungeons, defeat bosses, craft unique items etc. There's a good sense of progression here and the whole process probably took me 30+ hours, and I think I invested around 100 hours in total.

The game starts off slow because of low level equipment, but once you start coming across accessories that give you cool abilities and ranged/magic weapons, gameplay becomes a lot more varied. There are also NPCs in this game that can sell you a whole bunch of stuff for crafting traps, weapons with different stats and such, so I suppose it is somewhat RPG-like in that respect. In one playthrough I called my character Gandalf the Grey, wore wizard robes and exclusively used magic. Good fun.

All in all, I would recommend it. If you do end up playing it though, just warning you that there is no tutorial and very little in-game guidance on where you'll find particular items or how to do certain things, so you'll inevitably end up consulting the wiki A LOT.

Ithior

What do you guys think of Steam Early Access games? I find myself liking a lot of them. I bought Stranded Deep and have Planet Explorers, The Escapists, Kerbal Space Program and Besiege on my wish list. 5 out of the 8 games on my wish list are early access ones. To me they just seem much better and fun to play than the stuff we're used to get from the major game developers.

I haven't played Minecraft so I can't compare, but I had a pretty good time with Terraria. You can do all the crafting, exploration and building stuff, but there's also a 'main quest' of sorts, where your end goal is to acquire the best possible gear in the game which requires you to go to different biomes/dungeons, defeat bosses, craft unique items etc. There's a good sense of progression here and the whole process probably took me 30+ hours, and I think I invested around 100 hours in total.

The game starts off slow because of low level equipment, but once you start coming across accessories that give you cool abilities and ranged/magic weapons, gameplay becomes a lot more varied. There are also NPCs in this game that can sell you a whole bunch of stuff for crafting traps, weapons with different stats and such, so I suppose it is somewhat RPG-like in that respect. In one playthrough I called my character Gandalf the Grey, wore wizard robes and exclusively used magic. Good fun.

All in all, I would recommend it. If you do end up playing it though, just warning you that there is no tutorial and very little in-game guidance on where you'll find particular items or how to do certain things, so you'll inevitably end up consulting the wiki A LOT.

Thanks for the info. I don't think I'd enjoy it much though.

Argentum

What do you guys think of Steam Early Access games? I find myself liking a lot of them. I bought Stranded Deep and have Planet Explorers, The Escapists, Kerbal Space Program and Besiege on my wish list. 5 out of the 8 games on my wish list are early access ones. To me they just seem much better and fun to play than the stuff we're used to get from the major game developers.

I judge by what I've heard of them from people off review pages, trusting those opinions to be more honest.

Are you talking about indie games, though? Because there's tons of stuff that isn't from major developers that isn't early access. Faster Than Light was a favorite this year.

NamiraWilhelm

People are talking about fallout 4 and e3 again. Which I guess they do every year. Are you gossip mongers trying to make me feel empty inside? I will cry when they finally announce that game.

Ithior

I judge by what I've heard of them from people off review pages, trusting those opinions to be more honest.

Are you talking about indie games, though? Because there's tons of stuff that isn't from major developers that isn't early access. Faster Than Light was a favorite this year.

I was specifically talking about the ones currently in early access. Though of course they will eventually be out of early access someday.

Remus

Staff member
Atilla total war. After the mess that was Rome, one of the most stable, unbuggy and polished total wars games ever released. Grown up adult game and not arcadey, they listened to the fans. Oh and it's bloody hard!

Mokkat

I've been replaying Serious Sam 3 recently.

Forgot how fun this was, I hope they do a Serious Sam 4 at some point.

Argentum

I'm surprised people still play with me when I parody Katy Perry to them.

Hey I just met you, and this is crazy, but here's my ID, invite me maybe

Megaten

People are talking about fallout 4 and e3 again. Which I guess they do every year. Are you gossip mongers trying to make me feel empty inside? I will cry when they finally announce that game.

Im pretty sure they're gonna say something soon. Well I hope at least. On the bright side we'll at least see Fallout 4 before we see another Elder Scrolls.

It looks amazing, but I suck at RTS. >.< It looks like theres a billion things going on at once.

I'm not super great with them either, but it's not so hard when you've learned the basics. It's more about cleverly managing resources, topping off research when available and knowing who is weak/strong vs who. From there it's pretty manageable.

PugofCrydee

You want to know how I got these scars?
I used to like Age Of Empires when they first came out. Really got into them.

I'm dabbling in Wow again, and also thinking of replaying 'The Last Of Us' but on the next difficulty level.

I can't believe the last 2 games I've really fallen in love with the main character has been a girl lol. (The Last Of Us and The Walking Dead Game).