Has shyness ever made you turn down a woman who wanted you?

mari_13

Once I get comfortable, I can make friends rather easily. I have more guy friends than I do girls though, once a friend starts to see me as something more I regress right back into stage one...like we're just now meeting for the first time. I can't look him in the eyes, I feel like since he's seeing me as more he'll be more aware of what I do i.e. finding all my faults. When you're friends it's nothing, they don't think about the stuff that you do really so I'm alright. But then I get reserved, I get so nervous and in my head that I psych myself to the point where I will literally not interact with them at all.

Then they wonder why I'm acting totally different, I'm sure they think I'm playing games with them which hurts because that's never my intention and then they disappear. Not that I blame them ::(: so I'm left alone once again because of myself.

For me is similar.... I am friendly and I can talk easy if I know the guy is not interested in my or I dont feel any interest. But if I feel an atraction for the guy or if I think he wants something more. In the first case I lose confidence, want to cry, my voice starts chaking and more. And if I feel the guy wants something more, I close up and put up a mean face and avoid any contact.... I think they think I am a b... :D

So I think that shyness has made me turn some guys away that liked me...::(:

diesel

when i was younger i didnt go 4 it wit a girl who was my friend at the time and now that were older i think she has moved away from fancying me but i cant get her out of my head ..... wish i went 4 it then but didnt .

Re: Its not that easy

God i wish it was that easy.

Its just not fun. I haven't been able to control my anxiety around her. I would get so scared and freak out when she was around to the point i'd have to leave the room, look away, pretend i was taking to someone else, find another exit/entrance so not walk by her, look out a window before speaking to her, etc.

Turning her down was terrible because the woman (coworker, nice lady) who approached me was like "You act differently around her, you don't treat her like the rest of us, you never give her crap about stuff and never tease or play jokes on her...are you sure you don't like her, she's such a pretty girl?"

All i could manage to say repeatedly is that I wasn't interested. When she didn't seem to believe me (i don't think even SHE does either) i started saying thinks like "Oh i am dating now" and "Nah..i can't i'm seeing people!" it was horrible! Than the woman came back and was like "Ok, well i told her what you said and she said than that would be it, she won't bring it up again and she will just forget about it and move on..." and that was on Wednesday.

Ever since then...she won't look at me AT ALL...i said "Good Morning" to her on Thursday & Friday and she couldn't look at me just kinda gave me a 'hey' with her head down and quickly walked passed me..practically running away. I looked her right in the eyes (not an easy thing for me b4 i was approached) and she just looked like she was going to die!!!!!She will probably try to avoid me all this week. Itried hanging out when i saw her but she seemed more annoyed by me than anything else.

I had heard rumors that she liked me for sometime...she told a few people i guess, i imagine she is shy in her own way and very conservative as well. She's obviously hurt now. I just don't know what i'm supposed to do. I can actually say 'hello' and 'Good Morning' to her NOW (lol) with ease even though she doesn't want me to obviously but i just can't seem to do much else. NO ONE knows how i feel about her, i don't do that sort of thing, apparently she tells people she likes me, at least she did! I think she hates me now.

What should i do?

I know it's going to be really hard, but you need to at least try to explain where it is you're coming from. People are a lot more receptive to others if you let them a little closer; maybe if you tell her about your anxiety, she'll at least start relaxing a little bit more around you.

And if you don't want to/can't face her in person, I find that writing a letter (while a bit old fashioned) is a great way to express yourself without giving yourself the opportunity to screw up when talking to her.

I guess I just hate to see it when these sort of opportunities pass us by. Do your best, and just have enough confidence to approach her.

I've never had girls being attracted to me...Well not obviously attracted to me, but i seem to have this sign on me saying ''Keep away from me girls!'' because that what it feels like. I feel i have no charisma o'r good looks and body which would make girls be attracted to me. Oh well! Life sucks :(
you are a good looking guy, ::p:

Vecis

This happened to me today. I don't know her surname I am not even sure about her name. All I know that she in lover course in my faculty. She seems shy and lonely too, always walk alone and don't speak much. But I am too shy to approach her and feel the same emotions that guy in first post said. But I cant be sure if she likes me, we never spoke a word and I cant trust my "love senses" because I had erotomania (delusion that someone loves you). In this case its pretty hopeless because she is shy and even shyer than me.

Yes. Two separate times in a train station. I didn't pursue the opportunities because of my shyness, even though I had indications of their interest in me.

I've never had girls being attracted to me...Well not obviously attracted to me, but i seem to have this sign on me saying ''Keep away from me girls!'' because that what it feels like. I feel i have no charisma o'r good looks and body which would make girls be attracted to me. Oh well! Life sucks :(

Same in most respects, only once did girls ever come up to me and talk to me, sadly I ruined that one. They came up to me in a parking lot and started talking to me, I tried, I shook hands, introduced myself, etc, but soon enough I made excuses and ran off, I still kick myself to this day for that one. Once and only once did it happen, and so yea.

Johno

It happen's all the time... I am too scared. I guess I think I will have a massive panic attack....And I will

NihilistNoir

Yea i cant to do it, its so lame cause she pretty much told me to ask her out and then i just tense up and walk away or act awkward like i always do lmao.

teandtoast

For me is similar.... I am friendly and I can talk easy if I know the guy is not interested in my or I dont feel any interest. But if I feel an atraction for the guy or if I think he wants something more. In the first case I lose confidence, want to cry, my voice starts chaking and more. And if I feel the guy wants something more, I close up and put up a mean face and avoid any contact.... I think they think I am a b... :D

So I think that shyness has made me turn some guys away that liked me...::(:

Im the same ...like this girl at work whos in my dept who I thinks proper hot whenever she starts to talk to me or anything my words start getin jumbled and I think I go red aswell and just generally seem really embarassed...must be really obvious why ...but any other girl in the dept who I have no interest in I cant talk to to some extent and not seem embarassed at all (although still due to my shyness I have nothing really to say to them)

My other problem is if a girl starts to show real interest in me say in a club I just freeze up I dont have anything to say...like this girl was all over me in this club other week (like this never happens to me and I was like wtf) and kinda froze...I werent that interested in her anyway so

Last edited:

TooShyShy

So, what if its a girl your not REALLY attracted to..do you think you could kiss, date, have sex then??? Just curious..thanks so much :)

goldenholds

So, what if its a girl your not REALLY attracted to..do you think you could kiss, date, have sex then??? Just curious..thanks so much :)

Personally, it is very difficult for me to be intimate with anyone. And because it takes such an effort to do anything, I will only really try if I am very attracted to and emotionally connected with a person. Otherwise it is meaningless and just not worth the effort and I do not bother.

mari_13

Personally, it is very difficult for me to be intimate with anyone. And because it takes such an effort to do anything, I will only really try if I am very attracted to and emotionally connected with a person. Otherwise it is meaningless and just not worth the effort and I do not bother.

You are lucky Goldenholds, for me is the opposite. if I feel an even remote possibility of an emotional connection, I freak out... I haven't been able to have a serious relationship in 7 years ::(:

Well honestly I turned down a girl who wanted me. ( yes i'm bisexual )
She really liked me, but she is super-social, she knows everyone, for example, she has thousands of friends on hyves (that's a community website) and everytime she has another person with a (L) emoticon in her name.
So that makes me really suspicious. I want someone who really goes a 200 % for me, and not someone who just wants to make some ''fun'' ::p:
Because many girls just want to experience with girls, like the first kiss etc.
But I want true love. And I don't know what will happen, if my future is with a guy, or a girl, Cuz I'm not 100 % sure what my orientation is. But I will see what will happen :)
But i'm a bit anxious with super-social people.. ::(:

DeathMetal

Yes I turned down a girl before because of my shyness. It was way back in middle school. She was the first and only girl to ever ask me out. It made her cry and I felt like such an ass. I still feel bad when I think about it now.

Now I am 31 and haven't had a girlfriend my entire life. I am such a frikin idiot.

Last edited: