Most overused words you hate/can think of

FriendlyShadow

Here are a list of what I hear people use nowadays:

Awesome(even for things that aren't truly awesome)
Totally
Ironic
Beautiful
Romance
Love
Dude
Swag
Perfect
Sweet

That's all I can think of now.

S_Spartan

Awesome is the worst!

I hate it cause it represents the American need to over-inflate the value of everything, especially mediocre things.

Example:

"Dude, this cheese in a can is ****ing Awesome!"

"Here, try it on a cracker, brah"

"****! Now it's even more Awesome"!

I personally don't mind ''Awesome'' too much if it's used sparingly. What I don't like is the word used without context as to why they think said thing/event was 'awesome.' If they phrase it as ''Man, X was awesome, because Y and Z.'' I'm perfectly fine with it.

Similarly to your ''Awesome'' I'm on the opposite spectrum and not too fond of how people typically use ''Pretty good..'' when they mean to express a great appreciation for something. It just kind of puts the bulk of emotional expression into a indistinguishable grey area. For sake of communication it's very frustrating.

Also, the non ironic usage of the word the ''Bod'' when people mean to say ''Body.'' Just say the 'y.' Not everything needs to be shorter to sound cool.

Also, all acronyms. They are a double edged sword. If you know what they mean, they can save you precious seconds of writing/reading. If you DON'T know what they mean, they can be the most confusing darn thing ever. Not only because you'll have to find out what they mean from who knows where, many of them will overlap causing it to be even harder to find out what they mean. This annoys me especially in politics, general bureaucracy and general tech jargon. They're too context sensitive. Maybe if the title or generally used phrase is too long, MAYBE IT IS TOO LONG AND NEEDS CHANGING. Aaaah! (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Sensitive subject. :blushing:

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member
I personally don't mind ''Awesome'' too much if it's used sparingly. What I don't like is the word used without context as to why they think said thing/event was 'awesome.' If they phrase it as ''Man, X was awesome, because Y and Z.'' I'm perfectly fine with it.

Similarly to your ''Awesome'' I'm on the opposite spectrum and not too fond of how people typically use ''Pretty good..'' when they mean to express a great appreciation for something. It just kind of puts the bulk of emotional expression into a indistinguishable grey area. For sake of communication it's very frustrating.

Also, the non ironic usage of the word the ''Bod'' when people mean to say ''Body.'' Just say the 'y.' Not everything needs to be shorter to sound cool.

Also, all acronyms. They are a double edged sword. If you know what they mean, they can save you precious seconds of writing/reading. If you DON'T know what they mean, they can be the most confusing darn thing ever. Not only because you'll have to find out what they mean from who knows where, many of them will overlap causing it to be even harder to find out what they mean. This annoys me especially in politics, general bureaucracy and general tech jargon. They're too context sensitive. Maybe if the title or generally used phrase is too long, MAYBE IT IS TOO LONG AND NEEDS CHANGING. Aaaah! (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Sensitive subject. :blushing:

tl;dr

;)

Don't get me started on this.

Those aren't the words I hate by the way <--Neither are those <-- or those. Or these <---

But if I were to get started I would say "like" is the top one. I had two professors this past year - one each semester - who said "like" every other word during lecture. Like, how like unprofessional can you be, like ya know? I think it takes away from your presentation.

Last edited:

Ithior

A word I think I overuse and that I don't like overusing is "probably". I'm always writing "probably".

Zaki

It's annoying to me when people use the word "like" 70 times in every sentence. I've made a conscious effort to stop overusing that word. There are some words I find derogatory that I think are thrown around too casually and far too much.

I say "just," "really," and "weird" probably way too much. "Weird" is hard to substitute for though except maybe "strange" but then you'd have to be switching back and forth between them so you don't overuse either one, and who does that? Who cares? :p

Metal_isthe_Answer

I say "just," "really," and "weird" probably way too much. "Weird" is hard to substitute for though except maybe "strange" but then you'd have to be switching back and forth between them so you don't overuse either one, and who does that? Who cares? :p

Strange would work, I tend to use "odd" myself

3.gif

"you know" , and people using the word "shit" as a substitute to "stuff" to refer to pretty much everything.

Cloud.

In IT terms, not the white stuff in the sky.

Yeah, that one is just weird. Because A) The internet is primarily in the ground, and B) real life clouds are super easily penetrated, which makes it a terrible analogy for secure internet.