Movies relating to social anxiety

dpr

Barnum said:
Day_Tripper said:
Lars and the Real Girl
Strange thing about this movie is, it deals with a man who definitely has some problems with social anxiety, but the plot itself has very little to do with it. I just felt mildly uncomfortable on the main character's behalf throughout at least the first half-hour of the film. That said, it is probably one of the most realistic on-screen portrayals of SA I've ever seen.

Yeah definitely. It's really touching that movie, and Ryan Gosling is plays the role so well. Possibly one of my most favorite scenes of the movie is when his brother's wife wants him to come to dinner but he keeps avoiding him, so she stands in front of his car when he comes home and jumps on his back when he gets out. Then she has him pinned to the ground and is asking him to come to dinner and he's like, "No thank you, I have plans."

It reminds me of how my friends/family must feel trying to drag me out of the house lol

PhantomPod

dpr said:
Barnum said:
Day_Tripper said:
Lars and the Real Girl
Strange thing about this movie is, it deals with a man who definitely has some problems with social anxiety, but the plot itself has very little to do with it. I just felt mildly uncomfortable on the main character's behalf throughout at least the first half-hour of the film. That said, it is probably one of the most realistic on-screen portrayals of SA I've ever seen.

Yeah definitely. It's really touching that movie, and Ryan Gosling is plays the role so well. Possibly one of my most favorite scenes of the movie is when his brother's wife wants him to come to dinner but he keeps avoiding him, so she stands in front of his car when he comes home and jumps on his back when he gets out. Then she has him pinned to the ground and is asking him to come to dinner and he's like, "No thank you, I have plans."

It reminds me of how my friends/family must feel trying to drag me out of the house lol
I just watched that movie a couple days ago, and that is one of my favorite scenes as well! I guess I just really related to it the way he just kept making up excuses, while his sister-in-law was being so persistent about making him come for dinner even though he was clearly uncomfortable about it. I rewinded that scene a lot. I love how he's like, "I think that's my phone ringing..." as he walks away lol.

And I love towards the beginning when everyone is coming out of church and the girl who likes Lars says "hi" and he throws the flower then is all "okay, bye" and runs away. awww lol. That was a really great movie. Sad, sweet, and touching all at the same time.

edgarapoo

This topic got me to register 8)

I have to agree with everyone who said Punch Drunk Love, one of my favorite movies. It's also the first movie I've seen where the main character is socially phobic, and still probably the best. It's a brilliant movie from any perspective, too, because Adam Sandler plays exactly the same character as he does in all of his movies, but the world around him is more realistic, which makes the story examine the character more deeply and gives the film a more serious/surreal tone.

I also haven't heard anyone mention Punch Drunk Love's music yet. It has a fantastically unique soundtrack, one that increases in tempo and volume every time the main character gets nervous. This is incredibly effective at expressing his feelings, because I find that it increases my heart rate every time it crescendos, and other people I've talked to (who don't have social phobia) feel the same way. I really can't recommend this movie enough.

I also agree that the main character in Taxi Driver shows symptoms of social phobia, though of course he has plenty of other psychological issues on top of that.

This post is becoming too long, but I also have to mention Adaptation. The main character's social nervousness plays a big role in the story, though it's not really the main focus. There's an especially funny/truthful scene involving him and a waitress that I don't want to give away, so just see this movie!

Also, I've never been interested in seeing Lars and the Real Girl, but now that I've read the comments in this thread, I've added it to my Netflix queue 8)

dpr

edgarapoo said:
This topic got me to register 8)

hehe sweet! i gotta second Adaptation... awesome movie, i forgot about that one.

and yeah i really liked the soundtrack for Punch Drunk Love as well. everything seemed to swell up into a huge audio frenzy when he interacted with his sisters or the people trying to take his money.

it was like a musical panic attack

PhantomPod

I watched Punch-Drunk Love tonight. It was really good! And I liked how the music got all uptempo when he got all nervous and anxious.

One of my favorite parts from the movie was when he was going into the house the party was at. He walked in and out three times before he went in for good. I sometimes do that, all awkwardly, in the same way the character did it, and it just made me laugh really loud at how silly of a thing it is to do.

Narrative Art Related to Social Phobia

I'm gonna recommend a comic book related to social phobia. It's actually a "graphic novel" with a realistic plot and not a superhero thing.

"Jimmy Corrigan" by Chris Ware. Actually, a lot of Chris Ware's stuff deals with lonliness and social phobias. Plus he's a brilliant artist. And, I'm pretty sure Ware himself suffers, or suffered, from some form of SA.

That's a picture of Jimmy Corrigan under my name over on the left.

PhantomPod

^^ That sounds really good and interesting! I just looked it up on amazon. I may have to go to the bookstore to take a closer look and probably buy it.

worrywort

lol! mate, that punch drunk love clip, with the party scene, is just sooooo good.....it just captures what social anxiety feels like SO much! I love it! I find it weirdly comforting watching it.....I do the whole film actually too!

funny thing is aswell, is that adam sandlers character doesn't come off as a dick or even particularly in the wrong in anyway.....he seems cool.....it's everybody else in those scenes that are overly pushy and inconsiderate and selfish!.......

hmmm....

bulent

Off course Norman Bates. He too doesn't go anywhere but there's only one difference. He kills others,i kill myself!

recluse

bulent said:
Off course Norman Bates. He too doesn't go anywhere but there's only one difference. He kills others,i *****!

But i kill others too...OOPS! Did i just say that...No it was my mother!

Lavinia84

How did Hitchcock get mentioned but not his film "Rebecca" which is ALL about a woman with social phobia?

dpr

thought i'd add... pretty much any Todd Solondz movie (Welcome to the Doll House, Happiness, Palindromes...)

more about alienation than anything, but definitely touches on social phobia

Lexmark

Ok i skimmed through the posts so I hope im not mentioning a movie thats all ready here but
Disturbia is a fukin cool movie!
Its not exactly about sociol phobia but this guy is put under house arrest for 3 months and I think most of us knows what thats like.