Movies relating to social anxiety

EscapeArtist

lgst2795johnny-depp-is-edward-scissor-hands-edward-scissor-hands-poster.jpg

Aah, nice connection drawn there. I have to rewatch this, I've only seen it in my childhood... Depp classic.

Silentknight

I'm not sure how many of you may have heard this but their is an indie film being made about social anxiety it is called "Nerve: A Dramedy About Social Anxiety" I recommend giving it a look on their facebook where they have a trailer posted up.

Sandra Bullock's character in The Net, Rob Benedict's character in Waiting, and Deb in Napoleon Dynamite. I just googled those, so I know nothing about those movies, other than Napoleon Dynamite, and Deb is a great example of a SAD patient.

Also, another good one is the main character from Disney's Ratatoullie (sp?), the movie about the mouse that can cook. I feel like I'm watching myself every time I watch that movie.

Last edited:

JamesSmith

Punch drunk love and Adam. I'd say Adam was the movie that is the most related to SAD that I've ever seen. the problem was that it was so boring i stopped watching half-way through. Hmm, I wonder if that means I'm boring?

Taciturn

I remember watching this indie low-budget film called Keane which was great and very realistic. An emotional watch. The main guy has schizophrenia and it's shot so well

mmmm

I love ANGUS. Come on. Fat kid with HH gets beautiful girl instead of evil Dawson. What's not to love?

And my favourite chick flick of all time "Muriel's Wedding"

I don't know if Harold and Maude counts as an SA movie but it absolutely needs to be seen by anyone who is considered a misfit.

I totally agree with whoever mentioned "What about Bob"

Kaela2

Best movie I've seen about social anxiety is NERVE. In fact, they actually say the words. It was released this year.

mikebird

Banned
Mad Max stands out as such an early movie of an apocalyptic genre perspective. Some associated books I remember for my school bus journeys. Maybe got me engrained with all this. Terminator, Matrix, Total Recall, etc, are a bit lame to Mad Max, but all serve a purpose.

This statement was made all that time ago. Conflict & battling society when resources like food have run out

My first geography lesson told me that fuel / energy will run out in 50 years. That could have been imagination / fiction. Poignant that it was true, when I was 4. So we have a decade to go.

Anything apocalyptic suits me. 21 Days Later? Waterworld, Outbreak

Zombies...
So many more twists on apocalyptic base of people 'in the same boat' - where I've been more comfy in jail and hospital kinship

I know I'd love to have the chance to live through a grand scale kind of situation, naturally fighting to survive alongside others

The western world have experienced bombings, natural disasters - tsunami, floods in US East Coast, and a lot of the UK. Fairly local, not quite global. Standard society may have to submit to loss of luxurious belongings, ie. that glamour of mobile phones... let's get together properly

Nothing wrong with a bit of fantasy

but eventually reality

as for the recent Magic Mike, I prosper on thorough creativity in a movie which doesn't quite have a category

Last edited:

JackOfSpades

I don't want to read every post. But Punch Drunk love immediately comes to mind. His anxiety in that movie is so believable to me I swore he must have really experienced this. Most relatable to what my teenaged anxiety was like. Outbursts included.

Eternal Sunshine is what my early 20s felt like. I love that ending scene. Particularly when he says that he was scared, and that he thought she knew that about him. The sincerity strikes such a raw nerve.

Adaptation is pretty interesting. And I like Nic Cage being neurotic. I took some good things from that movie even if I felt it lost its way nearer the end.