Post your random thoughts/feelings etc

coyote

^i've spent most of the last 30 years working nights, weekends, and holidays

i perpetually feel out of sync with the rest of the world for this fact alone

Raichel

I envy people who find pleasure and enjoyment in their job. Work is just work to me. Just gettin' me money, so I can spend it on my hobbies and live another day.

Sounds JUST like the way my mind works while I'm at work. I break it down into chunks like that so I can get through it with my sanity intact. I wonder if everyone does the same thing?

I've thought about that too... how after you are finished with college and have a "real job", you usually work Mon-Fri, 8 hours a day. That's 5 nonstop days of work, then two much too short off days. Then you do it again... and again... and again... until you're too old to enjoy life any more (just kidding... mostly). I've found I really need a break in between days of work. Not after every day, obviously... but work maybe two or three days, then break. I'd like that better than stuffing them together in one weekend that just goes by much too fast.

Sorry it sucks for you :/ As silly as it sounds, sometimes I make up stories in my head to entertain myself while at work, or I fantasize about the future. Anything to keep my mind occupied. Do you have any kind of mechanism like that when the time starts dragging?

Yeah, I do that too. I usually divide the day into half hour sections. I find it less stressful than full hours section, as they pass faster.. and I tend to watch the time pretty closely.

I suppose it's fair enough, considering everyone is doing their part. But it's a bit of a grim reality that beyond 'doing your part' your value as a human as viewed by strangers is almost trivial. You're born, you get to play a bit, then you're educated/drilled to fulfil your duties to society, then you actualize those duties. While I get the necessity and function, it has always felt a bit brain wash-ey to me. Perhaps because my experience in the matter has always been met with a strong negative contrast.

I do something similar, actually. :giggle: I tend to re-play favourite TV shows (or random scenes from them rather) when the option to let my mind wander presents itself.

@blackpuma so much relate... are you at a desk?

who makes up these rules that working 40 hours = dignity? people in asia work more and, look, they have people committing suicide at work. it's not coincidence!

No, I'm actually on my feet pretty much all day. It's a cleaning job in an old building with three floors (much running up and down stairs), so I definitely get tons of exercise and distraction from the physical aspect of it.

I suppose most people work 40(+) hours because they need to. Given a real choice, I don't think many would put that many hours in.

MikeyC

Pre-hour: Okay, I'm fine.. Just step by step. Get my things, get on my bike. Doesn't matter that I'm late. Just go.. it'll be an achievement in itself. Maybe today will be better.

1st hour: Damnit, here we go again. Okay, first things first. Go up the stairs and look around. Maybe there's too much work to do in one day.. it'll keep me distracted all day.

2nd hour: I'm not sure if I can fill my day.. Most of my work is done already, there's not enough to do. I've still got four more hours to go. Damnit, I don't want to be here.

3rd hour: Almost halfway. Maybe if I take short 3 minute breaks every now and then, time will go faster. And I've still got an half hour break.. I'm really tired, but I should place it at the end of the day when I'm most desperate to leave.

4th hour: I've still got two hours to go.. Maybe if I find many trivial things to do, and do them slow.. I may just make it. Screw it, I'm taking that break.

5th hour: Almost there.. I really want to go, but almost there. Just 3600 seconds left.

After-hour: Three more days until the weekend. I just want to go home and take a shower. A real job is 8 hours long per day, plus an extra day. How will I ever make it in life?.. Well, it doesn't matter. No matter what, I'll have to do it. It'll either make me miserable or break me completely, but if that's what they require of me, so be it. I wish there was an alternative.
What do you do? Sounds like you need a very desperate change of vocation.

EDIT: Okay, you already answered. I fail at reading. :eek:mg: We have a similar job, it seems!

you usually work Mon-Fri, 8 hours a day. That's 5 nonstop days of work, then two much too short off days. Then you do it again... and again... and again... until you're too old to enjoy life any more (just kidding... mostly). I've found I really need a break in between days of work. Not after every day, obviously... but work maybe two or three days, then break. I'd like that better than stuffing them together in one weekend that just goes by much too fast.
That's normal, but many people work weekends, or nights, or shift work, or whatever.

I work 2 x 3 hour shifts Monday-Friday, then again on Sunday (1 x 3hr shift, 1 x 2hr shift), so I'm working six days a week. I'm still enjoying life, although I'm looking for a change now, but maybe it's because I'm on my feet all the time and the shifts are short, plus having hours between shifts in the day doesn't hurt.

Perhaps sitting in an office will be less extraordinary.

^i've spent most of the last 30 years working nights, weekends, and holidays

i perpetually feel out of sync with the rest of the world for this fact alone
I still think you're awesome. ;) Although I understand what you're saying. Do you have any time off planned?

coyote

I still think you're awesome. ;) Although I understand what you're saying. Do you have any time off planned?

i still get two days off every week - just not weekends, and not always the same ones. luckily, i mostly work days now, but i worked nights most of my adult life. and i've always had jobs where i had to work most holidays.

next week i'm off tuesday and wednesday - i'm excited because i get two days off in a row - planning to go out of town somewhere

MikeyC

i still get two days off every week - just not weekends, and not always the same ones. luckily, i mostly work days now, but i worked nights most of my adult life. and i've always had jobs where i had to work most holidays.

next week i'm off tuesday and wednesday - i'm excited because i get two days off in a row - planning to go out of town somewhere
It must be irritating not having a set schedule of work, but I do hope you enjoy your two days off next week. :) You deserve a nice break!

Srijita52

I must say, trying my best while dealing with anxiety and depression everyday and then being accused of being lazy and unmotivated by "normal" people feels really rewarding.

That's normal, but many people work weekends, or nights, or shift work, or whatever.

I work 2 x 3 hour shifts Monday-Friday, then again on Sunday (1 x 3hr shift, 1 x 2hr shift), so I'm working six days a week. I'm still enjoying life, although I'm looking for a change now, but maybe it's because I'm on my feet all the time and the shifts are short, plus having hours between shifts in the day doesn't hurt.

Well yeah, but I meant in general. The average work week is probably 8 hours/day Mon-Fri. I'm not saying you can't enjoy life that way, I'm just lamenting on all that time being eaten up by work... and I forget exactly what the statistic is but something like more than half of all people in the US are dissatisfied with their job. It's hard to find something you really like that pays well, I think. Doesn't mean it's not possible, of course.

hoddesdon

^ often if you do what you really like, irrespective whether it pays well or not, you can progress well enough so that it ends up being paid well

Damn I am so tired.
I just took the half full bottle of Pepsi out of the fridge and........shook it! :eek:
Like I do with the bottle of Orange Juice before I poor it into a cup. :eek:h:

*waits for the mass of bubbles and pressure to settle down.* :eek:mg:

MikeyC

Damn I am so tired.
I just took the half full bottle of Pepsi out of the fridge and........shook it! :eek:

Go to bed, BlueDays. ;)

MikeyC

lol, :bigsmile:

Good luck with your first aid course, Mikey.
I am always worried that if I ever have to do one of those, when it comes to practicing CPR on a dummy, I will start giggling :giggle:
I think that's a joke some comedian made. "You're learning CPR on a dummy with no arms and no legs. If that was an actual human, CPR is a waste of time. It's all over." :bigsmile:

Thanks, BlueDays. I'm actually quite nervous about it, but I'll get through it. If there's lots of serious people in the class, I certainly won't be laughing at the dummy!

What do you do? Sounds like you need a very desperate change of vocation.

EDIT: Okay, you already answered. I fail at reading. :eek:mg: We have a similar job, it seems!

Really? What do you do? Cleaning also?

It not even the job I mind as much. I rather like cleaning. It's no hobby or anything, but as far as chores go, it's a fun one. The problem lies in the quiet moments when you're forced to slow down.

Were I at home, I'd go do something else. Make some lunch, play a game, heck even take a nap. But at a workplace I'm stuck essentially waiting and filling time. Were the arrangement 'do this, this and that, then go home..' I wouldn't have any problems at all.

Damn I am so tired.

Do you have an unexpecting room mate perhaps? Perhaps tell them I can't get the cap off?

I found that room mates are colossally efficient fizz de-pressurizers.

Do you have an unexpecting room mate perhaps? Perhaps tell them I can't get the cap off?

I found that room mates are colossally efficient fizz de-pressurizers.

^ lol Puma! :giggle:
I don't have a roommate who could have done it for me. I just had to be patient:kickingmyself:

Are you allowed to bring a book to read in between the cleaning you have to do?

MikeyC

Really? What do you do? Cleaning also?

It not even the job I mind as much. I rather like cleaning. It's no hobby or anything, but as far as chores go, it's a fun one. The problem lies in the quiet moments when you're forced to slow down.

Were I at home, I'd go do something else. Make some lunch, play a game, heck even take a nap. But at a workplace I'm stuck essentially waiting and filling time. Were the arrangement 'do this, this and that, then go home..' I wouldn't have any problems at all.
Yeah, I'm a cleaner at a police station and at a school.

I know what you mean - it's not "fun," per se, but it's not awful and you're moving around, which is nice. I've also had to fill in time, too, and that kind of sucks. At least we're working, right? :)