Post your random thoughts/feelings etc

Odo

Banned
We're a lot better versed on spread of deceases and the like, and if our intention is to help, it would have to take a rather odd jump for it to turn into genocide. While it was awful, what happened to the native American doesn't apply here. The conditions are literally worlds apart, and therefore their outcomes as well. It needn't be a repeat of what happened.

It's pretty difficult to come to definite conclusions about hypothetical scenarios, isn't it?

Crude as it may sound, even if we kill the planet, twice, it will have mattered little compared to what we could do if we evolved past this inefficient and disconnected way of life and used our ability in a constructive way. We're a young species, barely out of life kindergarten. The potential of our existence is currently barely a spec of what it could be. I feel self hatred towards the species clouds peoples judgement and perspective on possible future potential sometimes. Well, a lot actually, if I'm honest.

It's still not fair to those species who didn't even have a chance because of our actions, and would have prospered in a more 'natural' environment where our priorities were different. You can keep eating arsenic in the hopes that it will turn into candy at some point... that doesn't mean you're clear-headed-- it means you're naive. How can any amount of future action possibly make up for the careless slaughter of millions of species in our current time?

What you suggest is that intelligent life is an unnatural thing to happen, I don't think I quite agree with that. It's not possible to cheat nature when you are nature, we're not separate from it. Our brain being able to develop to a point where we could bend resources into tools to avoid natural consequence have all been perfectly natural. The whole process has been. Nothing operates outside nature.

I'm not suggesting intelligence is unnatural, I'm suggesting that it can be applied in unnatural ways. If you're going to define nature as 'whatever happens', then this completely invalidates the concept... what would you consider to be unnatural? And if everything is natural, then why are we so much more important than all of the other species that we're destroying? Wouldn't it make more sense to stop doing what we're doing completely until we can figure out a way to get whatever it is that we want without hurting anything? Does it really matter if we go into space, or cheat our own extinction, or cure our diseases? Why do you think this is in any way a net positive when it's actually a huge part of what is shortening the life span of all species, including ours?

You're right about us creating our own ecosystem, though. But that doesn't separate us from natural processes and patterns. We are a product of nature and carry these patterns within us, and are subjected to them whether we like it or not. And that's exactly where (I think) our current conflict and test lies. We operate in one ecosystem, while our body and emotions are adjusted for another. This is the out-of-sync thing I mentioned earlier.

If a species is no longer acting in its 'natural state' and is unable to escape its current trajectory, then do the lingering remnants of its 'true' nature even matter?

It's pretty difficult to come to definite conclusions about hypothetical scenarios, isn't it?

It is. But interesting to speculate about, though. But yeah, until it actually happens we won't actually know for certain.

It's still not fair to those species who didn't even have a chance because of our actions, and would have prospered in a more 'natural' environment where our priorities were different. You can keep eating arsenic in the hopes that it will turn into candy at some point... that doesn't mean you're clear-headed-- it means you're naive. How can any amount of future action possibly make up for the careless slaughter of millions of species in our current time?

Simply put? Actions and time. We're a young species. The kind of influence we can have is huge, and while our actions in the past/present can't be changed, it could be that exact experience that could lead us to preventing it from happening a thousand times over in the future. But you do have a point, that's also an assumption that could go either way. I agree.

But there's tons of potential there, good and/or bad.

I'm not suggesting intelligence is unnatural, I'm suggesting that it can be applied in unnatural ways. If you're going to define nature as 'whatever happens', then this completely invalidates the concept... what would you consider to be unnatural? And if everything is natural, then why are we so much more important than all of the other species that we're destroying? Wouldn't it make more sense to stop doing what we're doing completely until we can figure out a way to get whatever it is that we want without hurting anything? Does it really matter if we go into space, or cheat our own extinction, or cure our diseases? Why do you think this is in any way a net positive when it's actually a huge part of what is shortening the life span of all species, including ours?

I consider 'natural' the way most view it as an invalid concept that merely exists to create a dividing line between humans and everything else. A needless distinction in my opinion. I'd like to think of it more as natural behaviour that's out of tune with the environment it initially developed in. Not a huge difference in definition other than that I consider the ''unnatural'' bit to be a natural part of the process.

I don't think we're important, because nothing is. Importance and priority is a human label. Just like with every other species our 'right' to survive is only dictated by our ability to endure.

Maybe going out there and preventing other species from going through similar suffering is our place in the universe? We can't exactly compare notes with another intelligently developed species when it comes to this. It would be helpful if we could. But considering we can develop to such a state through a natural process, it makes me think it may very well have a function.

If a species is no longer acting in its 'natural state' and is unable to escape its current trajectory, then do the lingering remnants of its 'true' nature even matter?

Not much, no. If we want to transcend as a species we'll have to tough it out until we biologically develop a new 'nature' that aligns with both the human ecosystem as well as the one it overlaps.

We're currently more than a little bit out of whack. That makes us confused and dumb more than evil, I think.

jaim38

I was rereading this old golden-bound children's book about Dumbo, which I haven't read since childhood. I cant help but draw comparisons between me and Dumbo. We're both naive, child-like, and ostracized, but deep inside, we have a good heart and always trying to help loved ones in need. We might not be the star of the show, but work hard to propel others to success.

I got 86, but I plan to off myself before I get too senile to remember to do it.

I told my mother I was going to do that, too, when I felt like getting older would be more of a burden than more life to look forward to. She was horrified. She's most likely not going to be around by then, what does it matter to her? :p

Odo

Banned
That makes us confused and dumb more than evil, I think.

But we're not confused or dumb... if that were true, then we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Everyone knows that what we're doing is destructive, we just don't care. Probably because we can't connect what we're doing with the reality of the consequences... it's not an actual thing, just an abstraction to which we react in an acceptable manner. But the bottom line is that most of us have listened to the facts, accepted them as true, and refused to change.

I guess it depends on whether or not you think that evil creatures always know they're evil, or that in order for it to be considered evil, they must act with the intention of causing harm... but if we aren't evil, we're still a destructive force unlike any that the planet has seen since life began, and I don't think you could call that good.

(Sorry for selective quoting, but I didn't want to take up the whole thread.)

Silatuyok

I told my mother I was going to do that, too, when I felt like getting older would be more of a burden than more life to look forward to. She was horrified. She's most likely not going to be around by then, what does it matter to her? :p

Hopefully by then elective geriatric euthanasia will be legalized.

coyote

But we're not confused or dumb... if that were true, then we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Everyone knows that what we're doing is destructive, we just don't care. Probably because we can't connect what we're doing with the reality of the consequences... it's not an actual thing, just an abstraction to which we react in an acceptable manner. But the bottom line is that most of us have listened to the facts, accepted them as true, and refused to change.

I guess it depends on whether or not you think that evil creatures always know they're evil, or that in order for it to be considered evil, they must act with the intention of causing harm... but if we aren't evil, we're still a destructive force unlike any that the planet has seen since life began, and I don't think you could call that good.

a random bolt of lightning during a dry spell, and a huge fire sweeps through thousands of acres of underbrush and dead trees... RENEWING the forest so it can continue to grow

the lightning and fire are destructive forces

perhaps the destruction perpetrated by humanity is part of some bigger cycle of growth, death, and renewal... one that needs to occur precisely as it is occurring, in order to prepare for the next part of the cycle (whatever that may be)

every moment that has ever occurred, everywhere, since the beginning of time has led to THIS moment - whatever follows will be the result of whatever we do now

and it will all play out precisely as it was always going to

Don't worry about it. ;3

It may have been inaccurate phrasing. What I meant was dumb and confused compared to being inclined to be more in tune with both our ecosystem and Earth's own ecosystem.

We have shiny tools and useful information written in books, but it's only a select few that can apply these things to their fullest potential. Most people just apply them half assed - most not naturally inclined (or capable in some cases) to use them. Of course, there will (most likely) always be a line between the smartest and dumbest of humanity, but currently the essential information is only used by the world's brightest. It's when average Joe is able to understand and apply such principles that we can realistically maintain a harmonious way of life. My personal hope is that the average human brain develops to such capability over time.

We're lingering between our primitive selves and the selves we've created. We may act different, but global needs and desires remain the same. The fact that we are destroying the floor from underneath our feet and apply duct tape over the holes is a testament of how misguided we are towards the reality of the situation. I'd say that's behaviour of a dumb and confused creature.

We're a work in progress that's most likely going to get worse before it gets better. The question is how good will we be when/if we get there? Despite what we do currently, I see potential.

Kiwong

A new manifestation of my anxiety. When I am talking to someone, I feel that I am suddenly about to burst into tears. I have to fight them back.

coyote

A new manifestation of my anxiety. When I am talking to someone, I feel that I am suddenly about to burst into tears. I have to fight them back.

1. where do you think that's coming from?

2. what would happen if you did? maybe if you picked the right person you could get it out of your system...

The World Clock thing said average life span where I am is 78, and it predicted me to live to be 28 (family deaths and what not). Funny thing is I turn 28 tomorrow. Weird huh? :eek:mg:

coyote

The World Clock thing said average life span where I am is 78, and it predicted me to live to be 28 (family deaths and what not). Funny thing is I turn 28 tomorrow. Weird huh? :eek:mg:

don't stand too close to any open windows :thumbup:

don't stand too close to any open windows :thumbup:

I'll drag out the bulletproof vest :thumbup: Probably some of that Final Destination stuff is going to happen. Luckily, I've seen almost every Chuck Norris movie ever made so I should be an expert at cheating death LOL.

Kiwong

1. where do you think that's coming from?

2. what would happen if you did? maybe if you picked the right person you could get it out of your system...

Sometimes I think it is a relief that someone is actually talking to me, that is a relief. At meetings I might speak up to say something, and I have to take a deep breath, before I can speak again. Being anxious, a lot of what I say is emotion packed, particularly if it something I am passionate about.

I have cried with counsellors on line and in person. Usually they offer a tissue and I stop right away.

MikeyC

*taps fingers*

What a lazy Saturday. Beautiful and sunny outside, and I've already gone for a walk. Should've gone to the beach, but I may do that tomorrow if I'm confident about showing my not-beach body, and if it's warm enough.

I have to work later for two hours, anyway, and after that I may go watch strippers (really) and have a late dinner, if I'm motivated.

For now, what a lazy day of reading, music, walking. :)

Kiwong

Fearing for my life. My borderline paranoid schizophrenic brother came into my room last night threatening to kill me, blaming for imaginary shite. Sleeping with a hunting knife under my pillow now until he moves out.

Hell that's serious. Look after yourself.

MikeyC

I was all ready to go to a club to watch some strippers, and I just found out they are not performing. I already have my jeans and shoes on, and I was all ready to go. Now that they're not performing, I am still keyed up to go out somewhere.

Maybe I should, even though I have to work early tomorrow morning and seeing couples out on a Saturday could trigger my loneliness. But it might be fun. Hmm, choices. :)

/firstworldproblems ::p:

*taps fingers*

What a lazy Saturday. Beautiful and sunny outside, and I've already gone for a walk. Should've gone to the beach, but I may do that tomorrow if I'm confident about showing my not-beach body, and if it's warm enough.

I have to work later for two hours, anyway, and after that I may go watch strippers (really) and have a late dinner, if I'm motivated.

For now, what a lazy day of reading, music, walking. :)

Beach? That sounds so odd when I'm sitting in my house freezing, haha. Not fair. I want to go to a nice, warm beach...