Post your random thoughts/feelings etc

Ithior

I'm a week and a half away from finishing my 9-month long online courses that I started last year. 4 videos/lectures left (should be done by Friday) and then one week to do the project. Once I'm done with this I will have to continue studying stuff until my master's degree starts in September, but I'll have 100% control over the pace I will study at.

I'm not sure if that's a good thing, since having strict deadlines doesn't allow you to slack off too much. Even if I set my own deadlines, there's no way I can enforce them since if I fail a deadline, there will be no negative consequences.

MollyBeGood

I hate summer. I'm particularly self-conscious during the summer.

Me too. I am trying really hard to get over this. It has bothered me my whole life. I wore a mini all day the other day and it felt pretty good after I felt super scared for the first few hrs. It felt good to be okay in my body for once in awhile.

This has got to be one of the worst apartment layouts in the country. The toilet and living room are directly adjacent. And since there's no place for it elsewhere, the dinner table is in the living room as well. Which is even closer to the toilet than even the sofa and TV are.

Which means that if you're having dinner, visitors or both, toilet noises are going to bleed right on through. It is deeply uncomfortable.

AlienGeranium

This has got to be one of the worst apartment layouts in the country. The toilet and living room are directly adjacent. And since there's no place for it elsewhere, the dinner table is in the living room as well. Which is even closer to the toilet than even the sofa and TV are.

Which means that if you're having dinner, visitors or both, toilet noises are going to bleed right on through. It is deeply uncomfortable.

An argument is to be made for the resurgence of outhouses.

Mental note to self (and anyone else who is reading this) I'm going to stop buying products that have misleading advertising slogans:

1. A brand of synthetic butter, which has a catchy name of " I can't believe it's not butter" but I really could tell it was not butter.

2. A deodorant, that claims will make me smell so attractive, that supermodels will climb over themselves to get to me. So when I sprayed some on, and ventured out into the world, the only interaction I got was when a lady in her 80's came over to me, and asked me what time it was. Although on reflection, maybe that lady was once a supermodel, and felt compelled to come over to me :thinking:..................:idontknow:

3. The catchy slogan of Pringles "once you pop, you can't stop" is, umm, well on second thoughts, is very accurate......:thumbup:

:giggle:

And yes Pringles are very addictive (purposely of course).

I meant in a food dish - it's really good in chili and Indian dishes (and I'm sure a lot of other savory foods as well), and I think it tastes better that way than as part of cookies or whatever.

ah, yes. It has more of a sneaky background flavour

Megaten

This new "thanks" system is a bad idea. Reminds me too much of Facebook. If its got me thinking "why'd you like his post and not mine??" I know some others have got to feel this way.

Ithior

For those interested, Oculus is doing a live event on Twitch in like ten minutes. I believe they're presenting their first consumer HMD. Exciting.

Link

I just watched Eve Valkyrie's trailer, it looks amazing. I was wondering though, are there still people complaining about motion sickness? I guess that happens because your eyes are getting all this visual information that tells your brain you're moving, but the rest of the body isn't getting those signals.

I just watched Eve Valkyrie's trailer, it looks amazing. I was wondering though, are there still people complaining about motion sickness? I guess that happens because your eyes are getting all this visual information that tells your brain you're moving, but the rest of the body isn't getting those signals.

Unfortunately you can't really solve simulator sickness with current day tech beyond becoming resistant to it. Your vestibular senses are just too good at what it does. Actually moving around in real space with it on is fine, but any kind of augmented motion will have to be handled delicately by the game developer.

But the good news is that you really can lower it a lot with clever game design. On the DK2 that I have here, I've been both absolutely fine and knocked on my butt depending on how movement was handled.

For example; Minecraft VR enabled via a mod made me the sickest of all, it was awful, but then a game by the name of Windlands (where you swing/fly around via grappling hooks) after a few tries it was barely a problem. The latter of which is still not recommended, but it showed how much difference slight movement/design changes can make.

When you're in a cockpit rolling feels a bit weird at first, but in Elite Dangerous (also a cockpit space sim game) I actually got used to it very quickly. After a while I barely even noticed it any more.

Ithior

You could turn that into a really cool ''Then and Now'' gallery if you wanted. It'd be quite interesting.

First drawing done. I picked a relatively easy one that wouldn't cause me too many problems trying to make it look 3D. I will try to upload it later in the post your art thread.
There are still many ways to improve it, so once I get better at drawing and after I learn how to colour digitally I will make a 3rd version. At the very least I will add a background and correct a few mistakes. I will also try to make it look more realistic, it still looks like it's out of a cartoon.

64 to go, though some of them are very similar.

Unfortunately you can't really solve simulator sickness with current day tech beyond becoming resistant to it. Your vestibular senses are just too good at what it does. Actually moving around in real space with it on is fine, but any kind of augmented motion will have to be handled delicately by the game developer.

But the good news is that you really can lower it a lot with clever game design. On the DK2 that I have here, I've been both absolutely fine and knocked on my butt depending on how movement was handled.

For example; Minecraft VR enabled via a mod made me the sickest of all, it was awful, but then a game by the name of Windlands (where you swing/fly around via grappling hooks) after a few tries it was barely a problem. The latter of which is still not recommended, but it showed how much difference slight movement/design changes can make.

When you're in a cockpit rolling feels a bit weird at first, but in Elite Dangerous (also a cockpit space sim game) I actually got used to it very quickly. After a while I barely even noticed it any more.

I guess I'll wait and see. How good a computer do you need to run these games?

First drawing done. I picked a relatively easy one that wouldn't cause me too many problems trying to make it look 3D. I will try to upload it later in the post your art thread.
There are still many ways to improve it, so once I get better at drawing and after I learn how to colour digitally I will make a 3rd version. At the very least I will add a background and correct a few mistakes. I will also try to make it look more realistic, it still looks like it's out of a cartoon.

64 to go, though some of them are very similar.

It's slightly off topic, but have you considered investing in a drawing tablet? It feels a little different, but for correcting mistakes and the like it's a lot more forgiving. They're pretty great for both learning and practical purposes. It could prove pretty useful.

I guess I'll wait and see. How good a computer do you need to run these games?

Because you're render everything twice for stereoscopy at 90fps it needs to be a pretty beefy machine. They've got details for recommended specs here; https://www.oculus.com/en-us/blog/powering-the-rift/