Post your random thoughts/feelings etc

Monkish1

Been studying for a 'real' career, with real normal hours, a real work place, real coworkers, real responsibility, real office politics, real consequences, real paycheck, real retirement. Sounds like a real nightmare. The truth is, where I am now is not a nightmare, and I guess that is something to hold on to. I don't have much, don't need much, and feel challenged and alive. I might just take this short life, say shove it, and remain self-employed. At least I'm free, and that, my friends, is the only true happiness I've found.

S_Spartan

Been studying for a 'real' career, with real normal hours, a real work place, real coworkers, real responsibility, real office politics, real consequences, real paycheck, real retirement. Sounds like a real nightmare. The truth is, where I am now is not a nightmare, and I guess that is something to hold on to. I don't have much, don't need much, and feel challenged and alive. I might just take this short life, say shove it, and remain self-employed. At least I'm free, and that, my friends, is the only true happiness I've found.
Amen to that! You sound like a true individual. And those are rare these days.

S_Spartan

Let's see. I'm getting up at 7:15am to go to a flea market. It's 1:45am now. Figure it will take an hour to get to sleep. So that's less than 5 hours. I guess that's doable.
Thank God for coffee!

That hoarders show makes me nauseous. It's sad, too, that some of those people are so depressed, ill-adjusted or traumatized that they live in such abhorrent conditions because they can't throw anything away. Alot of them seem childlike, as if their mental/emotional development was stunted or they just became so depressed and isolated they kind of lost their grip on reality.

My landlord is a hoarder but I don't feel sorry for him because he's not a nice person. Our backyard could be grassy and nice but it's filled with his rusty useless junk. Ugh. I'm just grateful I don't have that issue and this isn't my home forever.

From watching the UK version of this, they are often people who have experienced a profound loss in their life after which they become emotionally stuck, there was a memorable episode about an elderly lady whose fiance had died in WW2.

From watching the UK version of this, they are often people who have experienced a profound loss in their life after which they become emotionally stuck, there was a memorable episode about an elderly lady whose fiance had died in WW2.

Oops I deleted that post :giggle:

I'm going to repost it so it looks like you quoted it before I posted it. For the hell of it. It's magic.

I can't sleep :/

Last edited:
That hoarders show makes me nauseous. It's sad, too, that some of those people are so depressed, ill-adjusted or traumatized that they live in such abhorrent conditions because they can't throw anything away. Alot of them seem childlike, as if their mental/emotional development was stunted or they just became so depressed and isolated they kind of lost their grip on reality.

My landlord is a hoarder but I don't feel sorry for him because he's not a nice person. Our backyard could be grassy and nice but it's filled with his rusty useless junk. Ugh. I'm just grateful I don't have that issue and this isn't my home forever.

Last edited:

hoddesdon

Couldn't find them in second-hand bookstores. I couldn't find them in public libraries, only in the faculty library (and there are only 1 or 2 copies of each).

I'm going to try to get them from the library and I'll photocopy them, the law is very confusing but I think that if it is legal in situations like this, as long as I don't try to sell it.

Anyway, I noticed many of these books are very old (for programming) and so they're likely severely outdated. For example, one of these books is called "Using SQL" and the last edition is from 1995.

eBay is another possibility.

Marshmallow

Crying Again. I'm not sure if it's because I cried for a while a few hours before I slept and then woke up crying more but I feel exhausted.

AlienGeranium

Every single reason for a smile or laughing feels like winning a lottery now.

I think that's a good way to live, no matter what a person's situation is. Happiness shouldn't be taken for granted, it's not an entitlement.

I hope your lottery odds start improving though, if things aren't going great.

Deco

I think that's a good way to live, no matter what a person's situation is. Happiness shouldn't be taken for granted, it's not an entitlement.

I hope your lottery odds start improving though, if things aren't going great.

I agree. It's just that life after 30 many times just feels just like a corporate struggle and a real challenge to keep or make any new friends, even people who share the same interests. Like many say here, feels like people after some time only care about money or status.
But we gotta value every positive aspect, moment or spark of friendship.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Ithior

Managed to find a few of the books online that I need for next semester. I'll try to get the rest from the library, though apparently I can't request them from home due to IT issues or whatever.

I hope I can study this through a good chunk of the day next semester, instead of just lazily wasting my mornings and afternoons like I did in my bachelor's.

MollyBeGood

It's so weird. I can't watch scary movies anymore. They have consistently given me nightmares now every time. I never used to be effected by them at all when I dream. Why would this be happening to me??
"Dracula Untold" for example, not really that scary at all=bad dreams.

Monkish1

Trying to accept how things are now, and not get stuck in the 'what if' cycle. I feel pretty hopeful. Holding on to what's precious to me. Glad to have happy people around. It's been too long. Every day is a battle, but I'm winning the war, no matter what.

Monkish1

It's so weird. I can't watch scary movies anymore. They have consistently given me nightmares now every time. I never used to be effected by them at all when I dream. Why would this be happening to me??
"Dracula Untold" for example, not really that scary at all=bad dreams.

Maybe stress. It can accumulate and cause night terrors. Try watching nothing but comedies and kid stuff for a stretch. I'm embarrassed to say that the new Barbie series is actually kinda fun and definitely humorous!