Post your random thoughts/feelings etc

Ithior

There's this subject I want to read about before the semester starts but the programme is so vague I have no idea what to look for. I got the textbooks but the tables of contents are so much more specific that it just makes things worse.

onehandclapping

the people helping me back into eventual work.

they've been good so far, yet last week was a disaster. I had some questions about a couple of jobs and was really hoping they could act as a middleman to approach employers, instead they tell me (in a round about way) that they don't know the answers to my questions and don't know how to answer them..

so what they then do is turn the situation around and say why don't I phone the employers and ask them these questions. sounds great in practice, aside from the small matter of me not having being employed for nearly 10 years, suffering mental health problems and having no experience in the job I am asking about. I feel terrible about this, I am meant to phone the employers up and ask them if I can try working in their job environment and if its something I can cope with. so I have to declare my problems I face to complete strangers over the phone otherwise run the risk of them looking at request of training and employing someone for one day and thinking "yea right! why should we go to the expense of training you up just for one day!? and you have nothing to offer us as an employer"

I feel massively embarrassed and stupid and that they've basically just let me down and put me in a terrible spot. what I needed was help, someone to help speak on my behalf to vouch for me and get me into a place of work. not for them to just say do it all yourself.
not only that, but today I went through all the job vacancies and they are all agency jobs... none of them have a telephone number or even an email. just a job listing telling me to sign up with whatever agency and attach my cv.

PugofCrydee

You want to know how I got these scars?
^ So this, eh, happens to ye often, Pug?
coffeescreen.gif
Wait, haud oan let me just... wipe away the tears. Aw, f**k me!

Sorry, ah know,ah shouldnae laugh, really. Right, so... C'mon Graeme, keep yer... composure. Didnae laugh, it's no' funny.

• If there's a label indicating the size of the shirt that should always be at the back once you put it on.
  • Incidentally, if the shirt has writing or a picture on it, that usually goes at the front. The other way round, you have it on backward.
  • If it's inside out/back-to-front then the label's usually hinging out.

This post was temporarily delayed due a laughing fit

Are you laughing at my expense Graeme?.. :blushing:

You would think at my age I would have learned to dress myself properly hey?.. :thinking:

Even though they're technically valid interview questions, "Tell me about yourself" and "tell me about your work history" are so open-ended that they put the interviewee on the spot.

I was expecting to give my preformulated answers to the standard customer service questions and yada yada but instead I found myself struggling and my mind went blank. Luckily it didn't seem to matter. Not cool.

Graeme1988

Hie yer hence from me heath!
Are you laughing at my expense Graeme?.. :blushing: You would think at my age I would have learned to dress myself properly hey?.. :thinking:

Aye, sure... :rolleyes: Sorry, I'm still thinking about the surreal, hysterically funny experience ah hud this past weekend in Edinburgh - am huvin a post-Edinburgh hangover, so to speak. Though, ah think it was more yer asking for explanation followed by the admission that the shirt on backward thing happens to you often.

Though, wearing a t-shirt the wrong way round is slightly less embarrassing than wearing yer trousers or a vest the wrong way round, and not realizing until someone point it out to ya. But it happens to us, at one time or another.

Ithior

Even though they're technically valid interview questions, "Tell me about yourself" and "tell me about your work history" are so open-ended that they put the interviewee on the spot.

I was expecting to give my preformulated answers to the standard customer service questions and yada yada but instead I found myself struggling and my mind went blank. Luckily it didn't seem to matter. Not cool.

Every page on the internet giving advice about job interviews mentions the "tell me about yourself" question as one of the answers you should prepare for. Some of them mention the second one too, though most of the times it shows up as a series of questions regarding previous work experience.

Deco

Every page on the internet giving advice about job interviews mentions the "tell me about yourself" question as one of the answers you should prepare for. Some of them mention the second one too, though most of the times it shows up as a series of questions regarding previous work experience.
Gotta love HR Psychologists. Many times they're the ones formulating these questions, rather than someone from the specific department that is offering the job. Once you meet them in person, you'll have Milton from the movie Office Space as your new hero.

Last edited:

Well I missed them then... all of them. I'll be prepared to answer that next time but awful question.

Ithior

Gotta love HR Psychologists. Many times they're the ones formulating these questions, rather than someone from the specific department that is offering the job. Once you meet them in person, you'll have Milton from Office Space as your new hero.

I went to a job interview once for a Data Analyst position. I did not have the qualifications at the time, but the person interviewing knew even less. I think I told her about R (programming language used in data science) and GitHub (online repository hosting service) and she had no idea what it was. Then again, this was a recruitment with lots of phases, so if you passed that interview you had to do a qualifications test and if you passed that you would be interviewed by the head of the department.

She also lacked a front tooth.

Ithior

Well I missed them then... all of them. I'll be prepared to answer that next time but awful question.

It's the sort of question that seems so simple until you actually have to answer it. I wouldn't be surprised if you just glanced over it and disregarded it.

Deco

I went to a job interview once for a Data Analyst position. I did not have the qualifications at the time, but the person interviewing knew even less. I think I told her about R (programming language used in data science) and GitHub (online repository hosting service) and she had no idea what it was. Then again, this was a recruitment with lots of phases, so if you passed that interview you had to do a qualifications test and if you passed that you would be interviewed by the head of the department.

She also lacked a front tooth.

I know how it feels. I've worked with people that totally ignored our department's needs to hire a new architect with a specific set of skills that matched our projects needs. All they did was to let the candidates do their test projects at home rather than bringing them and let us supervise in real time, the test we had carefully designed.

Last edited:
Getting back into 3D modelling lately, and it's been nice.

It's always interesting to see how when you leave a medium, and then later return to it, you're better at it somehow. Today was the same thing. Stuff I had been struggling with for weeks (each,) I pretty much all knocked out of the park within the same day.

Odo

Banned

They're terrible questions in any context and interviewers should know this, but of course no one ever calls them out on it because they're the ones who have all the power in that situation.

Last edited:

Ithior

They're terrible questions in any context and interviewers should know this, but of course no one ever calls them out on it because they're the ones who have all the power in that situation.

They might be terrible but they come up frequently, so you can prepare for them. My sister and I have our answers to those frequently asked questions written down.

I think they ask them on purpose to determine character and current state of mind by evaluating to what context the individual in question takes it. They're layman versions of the Rorschach test.