rate the last film you watched

Nanita

"Tammy"
3/10
I wanted to like it, cause I think Melissa McCarthy is awesome.. But this movie just wasn't written very well and it didn't make me laugh at all.... Dissapointing.

AtTheGates

Banned
The Ninth Gate -7.5/10

This movie isnt exactly action packed and i can see why alot of people wouldnt like it but I really enjoyed it...I'v always liked Johnny Depp as an actor (regardless of how overrated he is) and he plays the role of Dean Corso pretty well. I just like the idea of making a living by being a rare book collector who gets contracted by mysterious rich people to travel across the world and retrieve old/rare books (with ALL trip expenses paid for)....such a great character. At the end of the film I found myself wanting more. Kind of the way I felt at the end of True Detective season 1.

anyway, aside from Johnny Depp most of the acting was sub-par....it was a good movie but it could have been a lot better and the story wasn't as deep as I would have liked it to be....it seemed to just give a small taste of all the things I like to see in a movie but it didnt give me everything I wanted from it....regardless, Iv watched it multiple times.

Hannibal -9/10

This is another personal favorite of mine. it just has a certain vibe to it that I like. Not to mention Julianne Moore is beautiful in this movie. especially the scenes where she's talking to Krendler in her basement office and she has her hair tied back. The lighting in those scenes works really well for her. She's just really nice to look at. anyway, I wasn't a fan of the first silence of the lambs movie. The whole thing with buffalo bill and the girl getting kidnapped was just unnecessarily disturbing. its just uncomfortable to watch. I like how Hannibal seemed to focus less on that kind of vibe and more on building up a mysterious/arcane kind of vibe...especially the part of the film set in Italy...and also the scenes filmed at the Biltmore Estate mainly because I just like the architecture...it adds to the vibe of the movie. I went there once a few years ago when I was in Asheville but it was way too crowded which really dampened the experience.

anyway, neither of these films are really all that popular with most people. They're just personal favorites of mine that have a certain "arcane" vibe that I like to see in films, music, tv shows, video games, and other mediums of art.

Last edited:

slimjim119

Nightcrawler - 8.5

Jake Gyllenhaal is mesmerizing as Lou Bloom, a lowlife sociopath whose demoniacal ambition wreaks havoc on anyone foolish or desperate enough to be sucked into his wake. The movie sports a great supporting cast, slick visuals, and plenty of suspenseful moments to keep you enthralled throughout.

My only qualm is the off-kilter score, which at times seems apologetically cloy in its attempts to make Bloom appear sympathetic or likeable. Bloom is NOT a loveable loser, or a victim of circumstance, he's a creeeeeeeeeep with a capital C and the music should've played that fact straight. Bad guys win in real life all the time, everyone knows it, so who needs it sugar-coated with dopey music? It's an unfortunate disservice to Gyllenhaal's riveting performance.

But other than that, the movie is awesome and I can't recommend it highly enough.

So... go watch it. :D

Watched it the other night. Really liked it. Definitely a movie worth seeing.

PugofCrydee

You want to know how I got these scars?
Jupiter Ascending...

Minus 8 out of 10..

It's been one of the rare times I've wanted a film to end.

PugofCrydee

You want to know how I got these scars?
I also watched Outcast recently. With Nicholas Cage.. as a pirate... a Pirate that only had one eye.. but he just shut the other eye... squinted it shut.

Probably the worst attempt to act as a pirate by anyone I've seen lol.

AtTheGates

Banned
The Town 8/10

its loosely based on true events...

I really liked this movie..I dont have time to go into detail but maybe later

Last edited:

toowilling

Just watched the latest Mission Impossible installment and I loved it as expected. Although, I need to say that Tom Cruise seemed to have aged compared to the last one. He is still as good looking though! :)

Megaten

It Follows 4/10

Not remotely scary and didnt really make a whole lot of sense. Im glad it was just a rental.

takeheart

San Andreas is the recent film that I watched and boy was it boring. I kinda forced myself to finish it but the stream stopped and I was like I still have 20 minutes left to finish but im done with this borefest. I don't know how such a boring film even made it to cinemas. 1/10

slimjim119

The Lazarus Effect 4/10. I like scary movies. This was neither good or scary. It was like Pet Sematary meets Flatliners meets Deadly Friend. But those were better movies.

Odo

Banned
Time Lapse

It was a pretty decent concept (a camera that takes pictures of the future) and I'm amazed at how much story they were able to get out of it. It was really low budget so the acting was a little stiff and the dialogue wasn't great, but I was never bored and I kept wanting to see what happens next. I don't think I would watch it again, but it was entertaining.

7/10

Last edited:

FountainandFairfax

in a VAN down by the RIVER
It Follows 4/10

Not remotely scary and didnt really make a whole lot of sense. Im glad it was just a rental.

Yeah, it has a 96% rating on Rotten Tomatoes with the critics, but only scored a 65% with audiences.

I think a lot of young film critics these days are too busy foisting their social views onto films to make legitimate critiques.

slimjim119

Million Dollar Arm 7/10. Good movie about a sports agent looking for talented athletes in India to try out for professional baseball in America.