anyone rich and still lonley?

Boby

When people say ''money can't buy you happiness'' they are lying, how can you be happy if you can't afford to pay rent, and basic stuff?

The lack of money it will bring stress and unhappiness indeed but the abundance of money will not increase your happiness ...it's not a linear function.
For some it may be even depressing ,people that had sacrificed all for their career and when they reached the top they realize that they have no friends , no one to share their accomplishments.

ohheybbyitscorixx

Money can increase happiness for some. For example, if you are unhappy because you are really poor, it probably would make you happy. Money can also buy experiences that make you happy and cause you to have great memories. Money, however, still can't buy true friends. D:

ohheybbyitscorixx

Sounds like such a thing has happened to you in the past.

No, it hasn't. I've seen it happen to people, though. People used to use me for being listened to and validated. But when I needed someone, they were not there. I have to say my family did have quite a bit of money, but ended up in debt because they are stupid. My adoptive father's parents are millionaires, and they hate me. ;D

MikeyC

People used to use me for being listened to and validated. But when I needed someone, they were not there.
Wow, I'm sorry to hear that. ::(:

My adoptive father's parents are millionaires, and they hate me. ;D
Ah, that sucks. My dad's godmother is quite rich, too, so naturally I've seen her once in my life. I was about 11 or so and I got $20 in American money. That was a huge deal back then. Why do they hate you?

Kinetik

I'll take money and no friends over no money and friends any day of the week. I don't care if that makes me a douche. I don't trust/like people in general - pretty much a classic misanthrope. Besides, I'd have a whole lot of George Washingtons and Andrew Jacksons to hang out with.

coyote

When people say ''money can't buy you happiness'' they are lying, how can you be happy if you can't afford to pay rent, and basic stuff?

that's true

but the flip side is that the more you have - money, stuff, whatever - the more you have to lose

and the fear of losing it all often causes as much stress (or more) as not having it to begin with

WeirdyMcGee

and the fear of losing it all often causes as much stress (or more) as not having it to begin with
I've seen that before.
My mom's last boyfriend was extremely wealthy (in comparison to us, anyways)but had been through 2 divorces and didn't have 'as much' extra money lying around.
He would get SO angry any time he had to spend money and it would stress him out to look at the $12,000 balance in his bank account that floated around because he felt it 'wasn't enough' if 'something happened'.

I grew up on powdered milk.
My bank balance is 2 cents.
I live off of $300/month. $260 goes towards rent.
I never have money and I'm used to not having money so I don't really get angry about financial things... I don't have anything to lose, so I don't care.

MikeyC

I've seen that before.
My mom's last boyfriend was extremely wealthy (in comparison to us, anyways)but had been through 2 divorces and didn't have 'as much' extra money lying around.
He would get SO angry any time he had to spend money and it would stress him out to look at the $12,000 balance in his bank account that floated around because he felt it 'wasn't enough' if 'something happened'.

I grew up on powdered milk.
My bank balance is 2 cents.
I live off of $300/month. $260 goes towards rent.
I never have money and I'm used to not having money so I don't really get angry about financial things... I don't have anything to lose, so I don't care.
I don't think he's wrong to think that, but it's just two very, very different walks of life.

coyote

did i mention i have $8.37? that's not just what's in my wallet - that's the whole shebang

payday's not for another week and a half

i'm golden

DevC

I feel that 90% of my worry comes from non financially related stuff, and I ain't rich by far.

Roman Legion

The only thing money does is make you not care about money anymore.. It does not solve long term issues, merely makes the present more comfortable, but I would say it gets dull, hence people blow all their money on buying stuff they don't need. I'd like to think having money to fall back on and enough to have a very comfortable life would be enough.. Then again, what do I know, I'm basically broke and I don't feel lonely.. Never experienced money yet, so it is just speculation gathered from observing interviews of various people, notably Kurt Cobain..

Feeling_Nothing

I'm not sure if this topic concerns me (since I still live at home) however I would like to add my opinion.

We aren't rich, however we can afford some nice extra's from time to time. And even though I have enough income myself and have pretty much everything I want (which isn't a lot). I'm not happy, I couldn't care less about all the stuff I have...the only thing I want are some true friends and someone to share my life with. That's all, it might sound cheesy but it's how I feel.

OceanMist

I did grow up in a middle/high class family, but as an individual, I've been way below poverty level my entire life.

I definitely am curious to what things would be like if I was rich. I'd be able to move out of my parents house for good and actually buy my own house. It seems it would be possible to buy friends and buy a wife with that money.

People say you can't buy love, well personally, I would be okay with just having a hot woman that I connect with that wants to hang out with me. She wouldn't have to love me.

I've also wondered if being rich would make me more confident around people or give me more courage? Idk, i've never been rich.

ohheybbyitscorixx

Wow, I'm sorry to hear that. ::(:

Ah, that sucks. My dad's godmother is quite rich, too, so naturally I've seen her once in my life. I was about 11 or so and I got $20 in American money. That was a huge deal back then. Why do they hate you?

They hate me because I told the truth about their only son being abusive. They don't like to believe their family is messed up. But, my grandma was the abusive one (the most) to my adoptive father and my aunts. Even though my grandpa was in the military and was abusive too, my grandma controls him! She is stuck up, religious, and hates anyone going outside of her "norm". It's funny, because she disowns me, but my one cousin who dropped out of school, got knocked up, and married a Mexican man (they are very racist), isn't disowned. Not that there is a problem with what my cousin did. In fact, there is a lot of religious abuse and as a result, my cousin "branched out", and that's why it happened. The last time I was on the phone with my grandma, he tried to say I love you, but my grandma made him hang up. The last time they sent me a birthday card, they gave me $20 for my 18th, typed me a formal, business type "letter" telling me they expect a thank you for their glorious generosity, and typed "Sincerely, Grannie and Grandpa." Didn't even sign it, or say "Love". They gave my sister $75 dollars, and she was only turning 13. It's partly because she is my adoptive fathers real child, and I am not. My grandmother is a cold hard...eh em. But I don't need to suck up to them, as if I need their money or something. She can live in her racist community full of hateful *******s. :O