Did you know you can overcome Social Anxiety Disorder?

squidgee

It really isn't that easy. I'm terrified enough just going through my backyard sometimes.

It sure isn't. Mental disorders already carry social stigmas that make it hard enough to open up about ourselves; couple that with social anxiety that makes you even more reluctant and well...

squidgee

What are you talking about??! I thought I did have Social Anxiety Disorder (stop saying SA, social anxiety is just social anxiety in general, social anxiety disorder is the disorder) but it turns out I think I just had really bad depression. Maybe with a few bad anxious spells thrown in.

I'm not a troll in anyway, I just want to spread positivity. I want you guys to understand that you don't have to live like this even though these forums suggest that it's something normal and that help isn't ok.

WELL, help is OK and you can overcome this and get treatment. Just take it for what it is! Why are you still on here? Because you feel like this isn't something you can get help for?! That's bullcrap, you always get help and get better. I just wanted to spread the knowledge. Knowledge is power and so is understanding, and positivity.

This forum is designed to support sufferers and that's exactly what it does. If you read the many threads we have here, you'll see members empathising and offering solutions to each other, not saying that treatment is not ok. Many of us here are undergoing treatment already, its just something that takes time.

WishingICould

What are you talking about??! I thought I did have Social Anxiety Disorder (stop saying SA, social anxiety is just social anxiety in general, social anxiety disorder is the disorder)

Sorry, I didn't realise you were an expert. That's the kind of comment that annoys people. You annoyed people on the SAS forum because of your patronising attitude.

kyle

Banned
Here's a way to help Social Anxiety:

Do the right things in life. Confront your problems, and life's obstacles. Help other people. Become the best person you can.

A lot of people that have anxiety disorders/depression engage in self destructive behaviors. Whether it's living life as a recluse, self medicating, having way too many negative thoughts, or engaging in selfish acts. All of this can influence us on how we see ourselves. If we see ourselves in a positive light, we are much more likely to overcome our problems, than if we see ourselves as bad people.

I know this too well, and I feel way less self-conscious when I do the rights things and make the right choices. When I have done bad things, or made bad choices in my life, I felt more anxious and reclusive.

kc1296426

All I am saying is that if something is bothering you, go get it taken care of. I just get the impression that people are just like sitting ducks here thinking it will never go away. It can go away, and you can live a successful life. You don't have to be paralyzed by anything like this.

To me, I didn't care what most people thought. This is something that is probably not your fault, and of course if you're trying your hardest to get better than anything that anyone else thinks or judges is void. They're not God so they can't judge me and assume how I feel, because they'll never know how I feel.

Section_31

All I am saying is that if something is bothering you, go get it taken care of. I just get the impression that people are just like sitting ducks here thinking it will never go away. It can go away, and you can live a successful life. You don't have to be paralyzed by anything like this.

To me, I didn't care what most people thought. This is something that is probably not your fault, and of course if you're trying your hardest to get better than anything that anyone else thinks or judges is void. They're not God so they can't judge me and assume how I feel, because they'll never know how I feel.

For some it CANT go away. Or at least some mental illnesses. Many are genetically inherited in family. It CAN however be managed to a maximum and coped with in many different healthy ways. But there is no cure. Thats not pessimism, its a medical scientific fact.

I dont have the time to look up sources to back this up, im at work right now. Maybe some ppl do sit like ducks, but that may also be due to a lack of understanding from those closest to them, instead of support they receive criticism and embarassment, which makes them very reluctant to "get out there". Its never as simple as just "going and getting the help". There are so many variables and no two peoples situations are the same. I may have a very difficult time with one thing while someone else with S/A has different circumstances and makes somthing else easy for me difficult for them. Many ppl have families who dont believe in any kind of mental illness. Many dont have vehicles. Many are scared to go out. Its just not that simple.

The idea and message is good. The information about help being there is good. But its the lives in which we live that themselves can be an obstacle. And that is a much bigger obstacle to overcome than anything else. That part alone can sometimes take YEARS.

I definately appreciate what your saying KC, and you definately bring food for thought. But.....things just arent as simple as we'd like.

BigJoe82

it is hard to stay positive and have hope when i've had Social anxiety disorder my whole life. I am 30 years old and i've come pretty far from not talking at all to most people but my anxiety will never go away it is something i'll live with my whole life. i'll never be able to live alone i'll always dependent on someone. i've been to many doctors, psychiatrists, taken all sorts of medications, i even fell in love with someone and it still wasn't enough to break me out of the mold. i am not saying there isn't a chance for someone else but i've come to accept that this is just who i am and always will be.

Hellhound

Super Moderator
All I am saying is that if something is bothering you, go get it taken care of.

I went to have it taken care of too many times to count, and every therapist I've visited didn't know how to treat it, it was easier to tell me I have Schizophrenia for some reason :|

You can't tell me I haven't tried.

Last edited:

InvisaLady

Get out there and be around positive people who don't have the disorder. I just want to spread positivity and realism a little bit here and there, I think it's healthy.

Gee, you know what? I've tried that and they always tell me "we can't stand you because of your SA". The world is full of such kind people.:ironicsmile:
I gave up on normal people long ago. every time I try to make friends with them I get the same damn reaction and then they stab me in the back.
If I'm not paying for them, they show their true colors.