Did you know you can overcome Social Anxiety Disorder?

IntheLabyrinth

You're right. Bad choice of words. So instead of get rid of it, I should have said improve. But vastly improve to where it isn't a phobia and you have no avoidance. Do you think social phobia is different from other phobias like flying, snakes, clowns, and the millions of other things people can develop phobias about? I know psychologists, mine included, say you can't get rid of it but i never bothered to ask why it is different from other phobias.

IntheLabyrinth

I guess I just thought of the answer to my question. With virtually every other phobia, whatever is causing the phobia can be pretty easily avoided, but with social phobia we must encounter the phobic situation everyday so that is probably what sets it apart. Everyday is another opportunity to reinforce the fear.

WishingICould

You're right. Bad choice of words. So instead of get rid of it, I should have said improve. But vastly improve to where it isn't a phobia and you have no avoidance. Do you think social phobia is different from other phobias like flying, snakes, clowns, and the millions of other things people can develop phobias about? I know psychologists, mine included, say you can't get rid of it but i never bothered to ask why it is different from other phobias.

I don't think it's the same as being afraid of clowns or heights. Also, i don't like it being called a phobia. It's not just about being scared of social situations. It's about being self-conscious about everything and overly sensitive. I thinks it's genetic and I don't think I'll change my mind about that.

gazelle

Hmmm...I didn't know clown phobia also exists... The only clown I've ever been scared of was the clown I saw in the mirror after the girl at the Sephora store finished doing makeup on my face....

Section_31

Oh not arguementative at all!. Its a very valid and legit point!. I feel some cases are more predominant genetically than others. Case in point, my mother and father vs my wifes family.

My dad is an introvert, but he gets along with people just fine, But hes also a very solitary individual and just always has been. And seeing that im pretty sure i learned that from him. My mother is very mentally unstable, had temper problems and alcholism problems. I inherited some of her issues and will be on medication to keep me stable the rest of my life.

My Wife on the other hand, her family on both sides has a very long history of hospitalizations from personality disorders and social avoidance going back quite far. And she exhibits traits of this as well. She hardly had any exposure to her extended family over the years as everyone is quite isolationist and its not uncommon for ppl in her family to go well over 10+ yrs without speaking to one another let alone visiting one another. Its due to this lack of exposure to the behaviour that leads me to believe its genetic, further supported by the fact all the ppl in her family seem to be like this with similiar traits.

That said however, growing up around her parents who too are like this, could also have very well influenced her growing up. Its impossible to say.

But i would say theres definately a possibility S/A could be inherited or "learned" either way.

IntheLabyrinth

Oh not arguementative at all!. Its a very valid and legit point!. I feel some cases are more predominant genetically than others. Case in point, my mother and father vs my wifes family. My dad is an introvert, but he gets along with people just fine, But hes also a very solitary individual and just always has been. And seeing that im pretty sure i learned that from him. My mother is very mentally unstable, had temper problems and alcholism problems. I inherited some of her issues and will be on medication to keep me stable the rest of my life. My Wife on the other hand, her family on both sides has a very long history of hospitalizations from personality disorders and social avoidance going back quite far. And she exhibits traits of this as well. She hardly had any exposure to her extended family over the years as everyone is quite isolationist and its not uncommon for ppl in her family to go well over 10+ yrs without speaking to one another let alone visiting one another. Its due to this lack of exposure to the behaviour that leads me to believe its genetic, further supported by the fact all the ppl in her family seem to be like this with similiar traits. That said however, growing up around her parents who too are like this, could also have very well influenced her growing up. Its impossible to say. But i would say theres definately a possibility S/A could be inherited or "learned" either way.

You're right I was being argumentative. I guess I should have said that I would like to debate this rather than saying I am not trying to argue. I am not trying to say that heredity does not play a big role. I am just just saying it is not the only factor that must be present. But I guess it doesn't really matter what we think about whether it's more genetic or environmental because either way it doesn't change the fact that we have SAD.

IntheLabyrinth

I don't think it's the same as being afraid of clowns or heights. Also, i don't like it being called a phobia. It's not just about being scared of social situations. It's about being self-conscious about everything and overly sensitive. I thinks it's genetic and I don't think I'll change my mind about that.

The semantics don't bother me since that is one of the two terms for it but if it bothers you I will stick with SA... I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

squidgee

Hmmm...I didn't know clown phobia also exists... The only clown I've ever been scared of was the clown I saw in the mirror after the girl at the Sephora store finished doing makeup on my face....

You'd be surprised what phobias exist, there are some very bizarre ones. Here's a full list.

The Phobia List
The fear of clowns is called coulrophobia.

TheTemp

Ok so there are two sides. One side is convinced that SAD has to be their lives forever and that there are degrees of SAD and coping mechanisms. The very thought of curing SAD to them, is offensive. This side rejects the OP's claim that being positive and seeking help can ever cure such a disease. The other wants us to be positive and thinks that it can be overcome and that everyone has SA to some degree. However said person has never suffered from SA in their entire lives.

I WANT to believe that it can be overcome. I think it's a beautiful way of thinking and I would love for it to be true. I want to hear more. I am aware this person is no expert. I however, do wanna be helped or inspired somehow. I too believe that this doesn't have to be my life forever. Teach me. :idontknow: