Do you think you're ugly?

Argamemnon

Some doctors are a nightmare - my brother had a bowel problem and had to see several doctors before he found one to help. He ended up having to have a serious operation, but the first few docs he saw didn't take him seriously at all!

Do you get out (even in your garden, if you have one) in the daytime every day? If I don't get enough daylight I always find it harder to sleep. I know it's a hideous old cliche, but fresh air and exercise really do help tons! It's hard to find the motivation when you're feeling down and tired, but if you know you're not doing enough exercise then that's probably the first thing to look at. Worrying stops me sleeping sometimes, and I read somewhere that the best thing for dealing with that is to write a list of everything that's on your mind before you go to bed. I feel like I've done something productive with my worries when I do that, and it means I only lie there worrying for about 10 minutes instead of an hour or more ;) Waking up early in the morning is one of the signs of severe/chronic depression, so I think you need to find a better doctor who'll help you out. Hope things get better for you soon *hugs*
Thanks for the tips. You are right, waking up early is a bad sign. I do have chronic depression.

recluse

Agreed on the eww to fake-tanned, plasticky bimbos, but it's not fair to be down on all skinny women. There's a huge trend for extreme thinness at the moment and it's causing a lot of damage to women's (and men's, in some cases) self esteem and health - but there are plenty of women who are naturally skinny and sick of people commenting on it. Not many people would tell an overweight stranger that they need to eat less, but it seems plenty of people are happy to tell a skinny person they've just met that they should eat more, or to ask them whether they have an eating disorder! ::(:

A century ago, it was fashionable for a woman to have ample curves (and it still is in many cultures!), and thinness was generally considered sickly and unattractive; a sign of poverty and ill health. Nowadays, people see it as the polar opposite - most aspire to be like the privileged, slim celebrities they admire. No matter what arbitrary body shape is fashionable at the moment, I think we need to work with what we've naturally got and focus on being healthy and happy instead of being fashionable and uncomfortable ;)

I'm sorry i didn't mean to sound that way regarding women who are thin, i do understand that a lot of thin people can't help being the way they are, so i apologize for that::eek:: What i mean is the way they use grossly thin models and it gives the wrong impression to girls who think they should look that way.

i dont think im ugly. I think i have a really nice smile as a matter of fact. But looks only get a person so far. Wat happens wen someone gets over the looks and wants an actual personality. (gasp) lol. sorry for the negativity

I am not able to really "see" what I look like, I was told that it would scare me because I would see that I was real. I am unsure how I look. I think I sometimes or alot of times think I look like a boy. Has anyone else been afraid that they are a "Real" person. From Joanne

recluse

i dont think im ugly. I think i have a really nice smile as a matter of fact. But looks only get a person so far. Wat happens wen someone gets over the looks and wants an actual personality. (gasp) lol. sorry for the negativity

I agree with you. I have actually suprisingly been told that i have a nice smile and such but i bet they people get dissapointed when they realize how socially backwards i am.

Remus

Staff member
I think I'm disgusting not quite ugly, different thing, I try to not think that way, it's a struggle

Lea

Banned
Haha, I don´t think you´re ugly Remus, according to your pictures you look good, better than me.

princess_haru

I'm sorry i didn't mean to sound that way regarding women who are thin, i do understand that a lot of thin people can't help being the way they are, so i apologize for that::eek:: What i mean is the way they use grossly thin models and it gives the wrong impression to girls who think they should look that way.

I do understand what you mean and I agree completely that the models used by the majority of the fashion industry are unhealthily thin. I have no sympathies with an industry which causes models to literally starve themselves to death in a desperate effort to achieve success:

Anna Carolina Reston: the model who starved herself to death | Life and style | The Observer

Extreme diet model dies six months after anorexic sister - Times Online

I just wanted to say that there are women who are naturally very thin (and possibly self-conscious about not having a curvy, feminine body shape) who are just as likely to be upset by comments about unattractive skinny women as larger women are likely be upset by negative comments about their size.

Having said that, I've known a few women who've had obvious eating disorders and attempted to hide their problems behind the mantle of "just being naturally skinny"... I think that the real problem isn't with our weight, but lies instead in our obsession with it. I used to have an eating disorder myself, and struggled with it for years - I still have health problems today as a direct result of my messed up eating during my teens. While I know that starving myself was just a way of coping with the other problems in my life and not entirely (or even mostly) about wanting to be thinner, I also know that the fashion and beauty industry gave me one more impossible achievement to reach for and one more reason to hate myself when I inevitably failed.

princess_haru

Yeah, the media has certainly done a fine job at embroidering the female form with misconception and lies. I'm so thankful to be caged by this worthless anatomy. Thank you God.

Lol, that really reminds me of this Emilie Autumn song:

YouTube - Emilie Autumn - Thank God I'm Pretty

I've gotta admit the first time I heard it I was a bit annoyed - I thought "why is this beautiful girl complaining about having her good looks?!" ...but once I'd got past that I enjoyed it as a sarcastic comment on the empty "benefits" of being physically attractive.

princess_haru

Thanks for the tips. You are right, waking up early is a bad sign. I do have chronic depression.

Hey, you're welcome. :) I really hope I didn't come across like I was pointing out the obvious - it's just that I know from personal experience that sometimes things aren't that obvious when they're very close to you! I used to have terrible problems sleeping and ignored the obvious (I ate terribly, did no exercise, was stressed all the time etc etc) in favour of taking sleeping pills to knock myself out. When I finally dealt with my other problems, I started sleeping normally again. But if you're already doing everything you can to help yourself sleep, then I think you should see a (good) doctor for some extra help.

hippiechild

Yes, I can't remember the last time I could bring myself to fully look in the mirror. In fact, there's a large mirror in my room that I have to constantly keep covered with a sheet so that I can feel safe. My sister said, "you've deleted your mirror from your room!" and she's right :D

Last edited:

no1

Banned
Yea. I feel ugly. Inside and out.

I think most of the time it's not that I think I am ugly but I think I may appear ugly to others, because everyone is so ****ing needy.

SammyT

I used to but the meds are working...

Either that or my haircut went well just these last 2 months! haha ;)

WelshOne

It varies for me. At the moment my skin is looking ok, so I would probably be considered average looking. I do sometimes have trouble with my skin though (I have very sensitive skin and its hard to find a soap that is gentle enough, yet still works) so on those days I will avoid being seen as much as possible.

There may not be much I can do about my face, but my body... Ive recently started going to the gym (big step for me, even though its a very quiet gym) and am working hard to improve where needs be. Its giving me a real confidence boost, even if results are slow!