Post your random thoughts/feelings etc

Rawz

So much to do, so much to do. So much to learn. So much knowledge to retain. Is my brain function enough? I hope so...

laure15

I came across this academic journal named "Gaudeamus", and the first thought I had was, "sounds a lot like God d*m us"! I think it's Dutch or Romanian.

laure15

So, I'm interested in data science as a career but don't have any statistic skills. Throughout high school and college, I never loved statistics. It was either too hard for me to understand, too boring, or I just didn't find it useful in life. However recently, I find myself having interest in the subject. I would love to take a free online course (MOOC) or read a book about it. Now, I'm debating whether to put off my job search for 1-2 months to learn statistics and data science (to learn more skills and make myself more marketable for data science/mining/analytical positions).

Srijita52

Man this social anxiety will get me into serious trouble someday. I get nervous, I can't articulate what I'm trying to say, so people think I'm lying. It doesn't go well with the authorites who think I'm being rebellious just for the sake of it when that's not the case at all.

dottie

Man this social anxiety will get me into serious trouble someday. I get nervous, I can't articulate what I'm trying to say, so people think I'm lying. It doesn't go well with the authorites who think I'm being rebellious just for the sake of it when that's not the case at all.

I feel you. Anxiety makes me look so suspicious, which in turn makes me even more anxious and then... snowball effect.

MikeyC

Oh, I hear you. I got stopped for a random breath test years ago and I was so nervous I was talking like I was drunk. Needless to say the police officer was suspicious of me until he found out I was under the limit and let me go.

dottie

don'toverthinkthings don'toverthinkthings
don'thesitate stopavoiding justsaysomethinganything itdoesn'tmatter

dottie

Seeing these rich kids on YouTube show off their walk-in closets that they annually remodel and constantly replenish is... depressing.

MollyBeGood

Mom,

As you sit in your mansion on the hill telling me about food stamp programs I feel very strongly that you and I have nothing in common anymore.

Ithior

Something's wrong with my room. For the last past week I had been sleeping in my sister's room (I was reorganizing my bedroom so I had a lot of stuff on my bed, and my sister is out of the country), and I was sleeping 7-8 hours a day and I wasn't sleeping very well because there was a lot of noise in the apartment above. Still, I would manage to stay awake all day just fine, only feeling sleepy after dinner. I would spend the rest of the day in my room during that week.

When I came back to my room last night to sleep in my own bed, I immediately went back to the rhythm I had before I slept in my sister's room. Basically, I had to sleep 10 hours a day, otherwise I'd feel tired all day and I'd almost always fall asleep around 6pm for about an hour. I also spent all morning blowing my nose (I have sinusitis or something similar), which is something that used to happen before, but didn't happen when I was sleeping in my sister's bedroom.

What boggles me is that the only thing that changed in that week was the room I was sleeping in. I still spent the rest of the day in my bedroom during that week. Even the bedsheets and pillows I used on her bed were mine.

Ithior

It might be a mold problem or something.

Considering I'm ok throughout the day even though I spend it in my room, where do you think this mold problem could be? It doesn't seem to be in the whole room. Could it be the mattress maybe?

Rawz

Possibly. Or it could be something else in the mattress. It just sounds like there is be something in your room that your body isn't tolerating.

And I would assume that even if you're fine in the day, that doesn't mean there isn't something wrong. Considering how important good sleep is and all the things your body does during sleep, if your body doesn't have anything working against it at night and can do what it needs to do, then it could probably tolerate it well during the day.

Ithior

Possibly. Or it could be something else in the mattress. It just sounds like there is be something in your room that your body isn't tolerating.

And I would assume that even if you're fine in the day, that doesn't mean there isn't something wrong. Considering how important good sleep is and all the things your body does during sleep, if your body doesn't have anything working against it at night and can do what it needs to do, then it could probably tolerate it well during the day.

I have no idea what it could be or what to look for.

I had to call the hair place that screwed my hair up and ask for a refund. It's been a week or more but I couldn't do it until this weekend for various reasons. I could have called before now, but I hadn't thought of it. I thought I was just going to go over there and ask.

Anyway, I was really nervous but they were professional about it and the manager told me she would refund me (the full $40, I assume). So, good. She offered to fix my hair, too, but I'm afraid to trust them again. I know she's the manager, but... I can't decide if I should take the offer or just take the refund money and go to a better place. All I want is a straight trim! :crying: I'm not even asking for layers, for god's sake! Maybe I should get layers, though. It would be more flattering :thinking:

nodejesque

I think the bailouts were necessary.

The problem is that since the late 70s/early 80s, free market policies have been concentrating all the wealth in the hands of a few people, which means that you can't just let them go bankrupt because the entire economy would collapse.

The way I understood it, when Obama came into power, he could have either bailed them out and let what happened happen, or faced a crash so severe it would have completely ruined the States and by extension a major part of the global economy for about a decade.

Some people thought that they should have just let this happen and that it wouldn't have been that bad, but personally I think they made the right call... yes, some slimeballs got rich and behaved reprehensibly, but if there had been a serious depression it could have been very very bad... like people killing each other for food bad.

What I took from the address was that he was going to ignore the Republicans, stop trying to make everyone happy, and finally be a real leader. Even if some people aren't feeling it, the economy has bounced back and is more or less stable, so it's a perfect time to try to break the grip that the rich have on it.

I don't support everything Obama has done, but the health care act seemed to be a shot at wealth redistribution and it seems to me that he has solid intentions and is still sticking with his original plan. I think that in the coming years we're going to see him try to make up for all of that time he had to spend trying to put band-aids on the 30 year economic mess, just to prevent it from falling apart.

Yes, and now I will finally be able to qualify for some sort of healthcare. Which, I am very happy about.