Post your random thoughts/feelings etc

I find it sad that we even need articles like this, but it was probably inevitable:

You Don't Need a Digital Detox: You Just Need to Learn to Set Limits and BoundariesÂ*|Â*Dr. Larry Rosen

It's an interesting read about smartphone obsession. I've been complaining for the past two years about how addicted to their phones people are. How you have to often wait until someone is finished texting/whatever to have a conversation with them or to have their full (actually more like distracted) attention. I've struggled with the issue myself at times, and other times I've managed to get it under control.

It's disturbing to me, though, that such a thing can even happen in the first place. No matter where you go now, people are staring at their screens. And as the author of the article says, I think it's not about avoiding it - let's face it, it's a part of our lives now, you can't get away from it unless you want to reject it altogether, which I think has more cons than pros - but about training your brain to be okay with not being connected 24/7 mentally.

I know I tend to get more addicted to my phone when I'm depressed, too, because not only is it an escape, it also doesn't require any effort, unlike many other activities. And it's emotionally (and superficially) rewarding to participate in social media and text messaging and to get notifications or play online games/surf Youtube/get lost in articles, etc.

Smartphone/digital technology is both disturbing and fascinating, and I'll be interested to see the various positive and negative effects it will have on my generation over the course of our lives, and all the research that will be done - because lord knows we need a LOT of research on such a powerful tool.
^ We are not that far from scenes in the movie "Wall.E" I hope we still keep walking though. :(

9-walle.jpg

I was at a red light the other day and a bus turned in front of my view and because it was going slowly I could see everyone single person on that side of the bus was looking down at their phones/ipads etc every. single. person.
It reminded me of the scenes from Wall.E.

I dislike people who unaware in their callousness take the hand when you offer a finger, I loath people who utilize leverage and time to do it intentionally. They know what they're doing and manipulate the situation to take more than they deserve.
^ I have found you kind of have to erase those people out of your life to keep from going insane.
They will never change (from my experience) they will just keep sucking the life out of you.
Are you able to cut off ties with this person? I know if they are family it makes it really difficult.

MollyBeGood

Smartphone/digital technology is both disturbing and fascinating, and I'll be interested to see the various positive and negative effects it will have on my generation over the course of our lives, and all the research that will be done - because lord knows we need a LOT of research on such a powerful tool.

^
The research has already been done. The powers that be are at least 15 yrs ahead of us in the area of technology always. If it is available to the general public then it is old tech. It seems that with the "smart phone" we are all running around with our personal computers on our persons. This is now a problem because at one time, when say you were arrested for something, they had to get a search warrant to go into your home and look on your computer to find things about you to further the charges. Now they can arrest you, take your phone aka personal computer and have everything about you in seconds. The younger generation has zero idea what privacy means, and no concern about loosing it because they have been trained to make all of their lives open for everyone to see i.e. Facebook. This will make putting you in jail easy peasy. Have you been following the Edward Snowden story?

This is so important to all of us what he is doing (interview starts 14 mins in but the whole show is great)https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEVlyP4_11M

Last edited:

onehandclapping

I can't seem to get excited about glastonbury at all when it comes around annually and everyone else goes crazy over it. it just seems like a corporate fairground these days, its like they sold out the soul of the festival years ago. I don't like it when things do that, I would rather engage with something which set out from get go that it was a commercial festival than go to something which sold out on their ideas principles and values to make a bit more money.

anomicdeer

Not surprised at all.
I don't understand why she would let him back for a third time if she's that scared of him. Especially considering what happened last time. It's happening all over again. Ridiculous...

PugofCrydee

You want to know how I got these scars?
I've worked it out. About the link.

It's not the link that's stupid - it's me! I can't get it to work...
Just keeps putting a little white page in the corner..

I give up.

Kiwong

I've never owned a smart phone or mobile phone. Thanks Molly, for providing me with several more reasons why I never will.

S_Spartan

Smartphones are a blessing and a curse.

But I will say that with all this technology people generally seem less happy, myself included.

It seems to change your brain to always expect instant gratification and that is a recipe for unhappiness.

Ithior

Currently using my desktop computer on my bed because the floor was varnished under my desk and I can't go there until it dries. I don't feel like procrastinating here, I'm just going through all I need to do without taking any major breaks. If I were at my desk I would've already taken a break to play some games.

Ithior

My neighbour's dog is pretty aggressive. It already bit my dad once. It's always barking and it looks crazy to me. I'm a bit afraid of dogs like this, that don't look calm and friendly.
Anyway, I was coming home just now and I noticed the dog was some 20 meters away from me. The owners were like 100 meters away from me, and as soon as they saw me they started calling the dog. A dog crazy and aggressive like this one, so far away from them and no leash? They must be stupid. The dog didn't even listen to them, it started barking and slowly coming in my direction.

I tried not to make any noise with my keys since it always starts barking when I'm opening the door to my apartment. As I was passing behind a pillar to get to the front door of the building, it started coming faster in my direction, and it really looked like it was about to attack me. The dog was like 5 meters away from me at this point, and fearing he would jump at me in a few seconds, I yelled "Get out!" (shorter in Portuguese, "Sai!") and it calmly went back to its owners, who were still at the same place, couldn't even see the dog any more and weren't even calling its name.

I rarely raise my voice, but I'm pretty sure if I didn't yell there it would have attacked me. The owners seem to think their dog doesn't attack people, but it has already bit my father a few years ago. Still, most people can't understand why my sister and I are afraid of dogs.