Shy Metalheads??? Am I the only one?

Pacific_Loner

Pirate from the North Pole
Does anyone remember Cryptopsy? You know, the band who released two bad albums in a row? Once Was Not had weird production and an annoying snare drum, and The Unspoken King was okay for the first three tracks before diving into awful territory from then on.

Their latest self-titled sees them doing a lot better. I really enjoy the opening track, "Two-Pound Torch." Cool leads.

Cryptopsy - Two-Pound Torch - YouTube

Was it a coincidence that you posted a band from Montreal after I did? :p

Old memories...

Tristania - Lethean River - YouTube

Rawz

I dug down into the earth and brought this thread back to life. It may not have been dead for 200 years, but it feels like an eternity....of dread.

Ghoul - Splatterthrash (FULL ALBUM - OFFICIAL STREAM) - YouTube

Yes I discovered Ghoul. Someone posted a topic on another forum I visit about Google's music timeline and I gave Metal a quick look. Decided to check out Ghoul based purely on the name. Glad I did. Great Metal. Splatterthrash is awesome! All their music is cool.

Aosoth - Ashes of Angels - YouTube
Also discovered Aosoth. Good stuff.

Oh, and Embrace of Thorns!

A new year for Metal. So far there is only one album I'm looking forward to/one album being released by a band I like/know of. There was so much good stuff released last year--so many bands I liked released good albums. Suffocation, Skeletonwitch, Toxic Holocaust, Revocation, Autopsy, Cult of Luna, Exhumed, Ulcerate, Wormed, and more.

If anyone has any 2014 releases they are excited about, post them!

MikeyC

^ I could never get into Nile. Yeah, they're good at what they do, but they just never struck me as an exceptional band. They have a lot of fans, though, so I'm the weird one.

Rawz

I haven't really gotten into Nile either. I've listened some of their stuff and enjoy it some, but I barely listen to Nile.

^ I could never get into Nile. Yeah, they're good at what they do, but they just never struck me as an exceptional band. They have a lot of fans, though, so I'm the weird one.

I'm not a big fan of them either, I've just been listening to them lately and I'm liking some of their songs :thumbup:

MikeyC

I'm not a big fan of them either, I've just been listening to them lately and I'm liking some of their songs :thumbup:
That's cool. :) They're not bad at what they do so I would even like a few of their songs, too.

Have you heard of Necronomicon? Their album Pharaoh of Gods has an Egyptian theme to it. Might be something you'd enjoy, and I know I like that album more than what Nile have done.

http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Necronomicon/1410

MikeyC

I love this song by Periphery, some people aren't liking the clean vocals but I think it sounds great

PERIPHERY - Pale Aura: Mark - YouTube

They sound like Meshuggah here
PERIPHERY - Extraneous: Nolly - YouTube
I certainly enjoyed the second song a lot more than the first. I am not a big fan of their style of clean vocals, but I do appreciate what they do. I'm a big fan of Meshuggah. :)

I do like bands that incorporate clean singing, even though I much prefer growls and screams. Synthetic Breed has really good clean vocals, at least for me.

Synthetic Breed - Autonomic Deficiency - YouTube

I certainly enjoyed the second song a lot more than the first. I am not a big fan of their style of clean vocals, but I do appreciate what they do. I'm a big fan of Meshuggah. :)

I do like bands that incorporate clean singing, even though I much prefer growls and screams. Synthetic Breed has really good clean vocals, at least for me.

Synthetic Breed - Autonomic Deficiency - YouTube

Cool song! It reminded me of Whitechapel at first.

I actually like clean vocals much better, the first bands I started listening to had clean vocals so maybe that's why.

MikeyC

Cool song! It reminded me of Whitechapel at first.

I actually like clean vocals much better, the first bands I started listening to had clean vocals so maybe that's why.
I only have one Whitechapel album. They are not bad, but I haven't looked too far into them.

That's cool that you enjoy cleans more, as most of the early stuff that came out in the 80's started off with clean vocals, then it progressed into harsher stuff. I got into metal through Slipknot and Mudvayne, where I enjoyed their more aggressive songs, so death metal and the like was a continuation of that progression.

Lost Girl

HELLOOOOOOOO

I've never classified myself as a metalhead, but my ears and eyes perk up at these words and similar ones as well as the name-dropping of ANY metal band whatsoever. It's sad, really, and a result of not knowing even ONE PERSON in my life who appreciates metal music. The reason I don't call myself a metal head is because I listen to all kinds of stuff, though metal is one of my top favourite genres. My favourite band of all time - GOJIRA. HANDS DOWN. If you enjoy Gojira's music at all, then I love you, that is all. Second favourite band of all time is KATATONIA - again, you like them, I love you (I know, it's very sad.) Bands I've been loving lately and listening a lot to: In Flames, August Burns Red, Parkway Drive, and and just recently have fallen in love with folk metal, Ensiferum, Korpiklanni etc. I'll remember to look through this read later to check out some bands. AND OF COURSSE there's shy metal heads. I would say a very healthy percentage of metal-lovers are shy/introverted or socially awkward, because (except for some parts of Europe I imagine) its not typically your mainstream genre right? So it would attract, ya know, outsider types. Maybe.