What are you like when you're not shy?

KiaKaha

Banned
Its not very often I dont feel shy... When I am in friendly company I can relax. It feels good when I do, because I feel like people finally get to see and appreciate the real me... not the awkward weirdo that people seem to want to recoil away from. When I do though, I tend to engage a lot more with others, and identify with who they are and what they are saying. I am also very friendly.. I have been told I allow people to be themselves before...so I guess thats a good thing. I am capable of making people laugh too. I am actually pretty silly a lot of the time...almost irreverent. I have a thing for puns. I can also be strong and confrontational to ideas I disagree with.

I tend not to relax though, I have something in my mind that tells me that I shouldn't feel COMPLETELY good about myself and that its conceited to be popular and likeable. I dont know why.

gingin77

when I am comfortable being myself, I'm dorky, funny, witty, perverted, sweet, loving, sarcastic (in a good-natured way). I'm a good listener and give good advice (I think). If there's music, I'm singing and dancing (sometimes even when there's no music. ha!). It's rare that I am completely myself - usually when I'm drunk sad to say. I think the one person I am completely comfortable being myself around is my Mom. probably because we're a lot alike.

Invisibleman

When i with my friends im like a completely different person. I act so stupid and crazy and say the raunchiest things,my friends say its amazing how I act with them and how I act around other people.

Insanewoman389

Like when you're most comfortable? I personally act really stupid and stuff. Although it takes so much chiseling to get through to that state.

When I'm with people I'm comfortable with I'm funny sarcastic and can be kinda loud lol Which is the complete opposite of SA and being shy *shrugs*

Nanita

Oh damn, when I´m not scared/shy, I get loud, talk a lot, try to be funny, sing and play drums or guitar

MrJones

Ridiculously silly, but in a funny way (o so I like to think :p).

I can't stop with random humour and I used to made some people laguh a lot (it has to be a certain type of people, though, not everyone understands my humour :p).

I can do such things when I'm shy, but it's far rarer.

I think that I'm not that shy, anyway, it's more about lack of self-esteem.

DeadmanWalking

When I let my guard down, I become the person you see on here. Full of horrible jokes and puns, helpful, "happy", "a bit" flirtatious::p:, somewhat sarcastic, open about my thoughts, and making obscure anime/manga references.

Vixen83

I am very theatrical (studied theatre and was always on stage growing up) animated in my body language, loud and clear in my speech when I am not being shy

I think people would find it difficult to believe I have SA if they don't know me on a personal level, as I have learnt how to act. However, I don't think this is a bad thing- for people with SA pretending to be a 'character' or just a big 'cartoon' version of your normal self can remove some of the anxiety in social situations as that character can be as loud/confident/daring as you choose

Also, any perceived 'knockbacks' are not really happening to you but to your 'character' and so it is easier to shrug things off, instead of ruminating and thinking EVERYTHING is related to you as a person somehow

Sounds a bit barmy <I'm from Uk, just realised this terminology might not translate so well, it means 'bonkers' or 'mad' > but I think this is how I have always interacted in social groups, whereas when I am with a partner/few close friends I can be more subdued.

I remember an ex telling me he "liked me this way" when I was a bit quieter and pensive at home, he would comment on how I could be two different people but I think there are just different aspects to my personality

Oh- just to add- I am not keen on the word "shy" as I think people associate it with people who have a weakness of some sort. I found an excellent book called "The Highly Sensitve person" which is a must read for most of the people on this forum. It causes you to look at your life from a dfiferent angle (including when you were growing up) and put new POSITIVE labels on your more introverted talents, eg advising, listening, reading, drawing, music

In places like China the quiet, sensitive, studious child is highly valued but in other places (like here in the UK) you are seen as 'lacking' somehow if you are 'shy' or downright strange if you like playing on your own (I loved being on my own with toys/books growing up, I found playing with other kids quite tiring) I have ALWAYS liked to do my own thing and if I find others whoo want to join in, such as those close friends that some on this post have described that they can relax around, then all the better

"Oh I wish it could be Christmas, every daaay...."
<sorry, feeling a bit festive

she1slander

Hmm... this is a question that I seldom hear or read very often and that's because I've never been in a Forum devoted to "Shyness"!! :D lol yes, that's my brain talking, right there, which I'm not afraid to admit! (Oh joy, here comes to dork in me ::eek::)

Some of you here kinda remind me of me when I describe a little bit of myself but believing that since there's no two people in this world who are exactly the same, I would probably describe myself harshly and nicely but never truthfully. I can never totally make sense even though I try to make sense but will highlight the flaws I have before someone can even begin to ooint them out. 'Cause I'm always going to be my worst critic, no one else. See? Manipulative.

So in public, I tend to adjust my attitude towards whoever is there in order to blend in rather than to stand out. I never liked being the center of attention because the stares that people give me never make me feel comfortable. So I'm typically quiet around people I hardly know and especially the popular ones where it kinda makes me feel insecure and inferior. Sometimes those situations are unavoidable so for a while I've tried to become more like myself when I'm at home.

So when I'm at home, which is when I'm not shy, I'm VERY opinionated and argumentative. Direct (almost like a dictator but would never take on the position of a leader in most situations of course), impulsive, sarcastic but in a ridiculously funny way, adamant, harsh, a maniac, and dareIsay, very introspective. Oh and arrogant, definitely. lol Sometimes you would HATE to be around me but of course, I would never really bring out that side of me if I wanted you to hate me... unless we were family. And unless I'm certain that someone like you can tolerate my topsy-turvy, rash and unpredictable persona, I will forever display my tolerable, civilized plastic self. :confused:::(:

1BlackSheep

So I'm typically quiet around people I hardly know and especially the popular ones where it kinda makes me feel insecure and inferior.
I'm the same way and get really intimidated around them.

I'm kind of like how I am here with people I'm comfortable with though. I love to joke around and talk about all sorts of different stuff!

EscapeArtist

The last time I felt free of all the shydome was a year ago. I'm actually rather talkative, positive, energetic, open, trusting, and needy (needing to be around people all the time) under my quiet and skeptical/cynical/uncomfortable/stiff/hate being around people side. But when that thing is around i'm the opposite, and when it's around it is not an on and off thing.

*Amy*

I don't know if I could answer to that question because I'm almost always shy::eek::... but when I'm with my sister, with whom I have full confidence, I act childish, make jokes, say stupid things... but I am a little ashamed to do that even in front of my parents, so, as I told you before, I'm shy for most of the time:D

Flowers-Of-Bloom

I dunno, I act a bit silly. Laugh a lot. I participate in conversations, you know. I think I'm pretty normal and alright at socializing if I'm not shy or anxious, but that only happens around my family. If I could be that way around others I might be alright.

ThatOneShyKid

When I'm not shy, I'm with my family at home. I try to talk alot, because it feels good. I don't talk much at all in school so it's nice to break out everyonce in awhile with no one I don't know around to judge me.