What are you like when you're not shy?

DanielPlainview

Like when you're most comfortable? I personally act really stupid and stuff. Although it takes so much chiseling to get through to that state.

Josette

That is an excellent question. I've spent so many years trying to act the right way around people that I sometimes wonder if there even is a real me. I'm just a reaction to whoever's around.

That being said...I have been very fortunate in the last few years to (finally) develop two very good friendships with people I actually trust and don't just spend my time around them putting on an act. I am sarcastic and funny and open-minded and sometimes outrageous around them. I wish I could be that way with everyone.

MaliceInWickedland

Once I get comfortable around a person I pretty much just let loose and act really silly and weird and crack a bunch of dirty jokes (duly noted in what I put down as my location in the second box underneath my avatar ::p:) And I agree that it takes a lot to reach that stage. I have to know a person very well or at least be assured that they understand where I'm coming from before I act like that.

Welcome to the forum by the way! If you need any help getting around the site or just need someone to talk to I'll be glad to help :)

Last edited:

Apotheosis

When I'm not quiet... well as always it will depend on who I'm with, but chances are I'll go y'know, be me. Cracking bad jokes, logicstomping lesser mortals, writing poetry, and flirting with anything lacking a y chromosome, and generally just going about with my whole "**** the world, but save the babes and babies." Demeanor.

Edit: When I describe myself I sound like much more of an ass than I really am. I'm a nice person, promise!

Edit2: Also, this is how I act in general. To be honest, I'm not sure how I would act if I were completely myself. I've never been able to act like me around other people.

Last edited:
At my very best, which is rare, I can think lucidly; I'm relaxed & comfortable in my body; I'm interesting and funny.

Tiercel

I can be creative, sarcastic, raunchy, stupid, and goofy. For humor I go for the inappropriate, the perverse, and the pun. Surprisingly, I've put my foot in my mouth several times in the past. I can also be very helpful and supportive.

Other times I'm depressed, miserable, angry, sad, regretting not doing something because of shyness, uninspired, and uninspiring. And when I drink alcohol I tend to sing aloud the music in my head. Oh, and I can be a bit indecisive, too.

I think....

Paahi

I usually act stupid and then hate myself for it and so It's back to the quiet me.

atavistic

Flirty, touchy-feely, silly, energetic, assertive, overbearing, outspoken, engaging, "haha/make her smile" kind of funny, kinda (ok... really) effeminate, flippant, and emotional. Being all of those things is directly related to my mood. And my periods of not being shy are few and far between and usually accompanies some kind of natural high like a crush or something else that I can't ever put my finger on at the time it's happening. The change in how I'm feeling in a given instance is the difference between me thinking "What if they'll think I'm gay..." and feeling hella nervous and thinking "What if..." and not caring so much as to the answer. I don't know if I'd want to be like that all the time but I'd certainly like to be able to switch it on around people I like more.

(Ahh was feeling excited when writing this but now I have to force myself to hit the "Submit Reply" button... :confused: Ugh. Gives me the heebie jeebies.)

Edit: When I describe myself I sound like much more of an ass than I really am. I'm a nice person, promise!
You don't sound like an ass.

I very seldom allow myself to "be myself" around people. Like with my parents, who are "old school", i am totally prim-n-proper. Why, is because i do not trust myself. Like my parents, but more so, I have quite a fair bit of "REALLY HEAVY SHlT" stored inside me, like a coiled python - there's got SO SO SO much pain bottled-up inside me its not funny. So i do what i need to do, which is to never let people "in", never be my true self, never allow myself to go down any "track" of spontaneity, for fear that it may lead to bringing some deep shlt to the surface (which i usually supress/repress very well indeed!; in fact i am "THE MASTER" of supression/repression).
I have learnt, from a few experiences, that its best that i steer well clear of all forms of spontaneity/etc with people (in real life).
But on the other hand, its bad, as i never learn to "handle" situations which can trigger stuff in me.
This topic really for me, is BEYOND ANY WORDS that i can mention. This topic is one of my "BIGGIES".
But to answer the question, either i'm a "violent monster" deep down (the "ugly"), or else something else which i'm just as terrified of knowing about (the "bad"). Or else, i'm simply an intensely deep/passionate "nice guy" who is whose emotional needs have never properly been met (the "good") ... who's to know...... (in religious terms, "the 3 thingees")

Edit: Just looking at post above, mine's a bit "heavy". Have i misinterpreted this thread?. Maybe i don't actually know as never really allowed myself to "open up" around people for extended periods of time?. My take on it is: i'd get past the "shyness" --> am prim'n'proper/reserved --> little bit funny-humourous --> but too much time with people --> return to my usual intense/grumpy/unhappy/violent mood --> want to be by myself again.

Last edited:

Phoenixx

Nice thread, DanielPlainview! :) When I'm not shy, I can be sarcastic, expressive, really nice (Not saying I'm not a nice person when I'm shy, but I show more generosity when I'm comfortable around people), and laid back. Even when I'm not shy I'm still not talkative or loud or outgoing. I guess in a way I'm still a quiet person when I'm myself.

Kathryn.fr

I'm just generally obnoxious all around. Pretty mouthy also. Online I'm fairly nice, and I am nice in person as well, and caring. But my loud and obnoxious side kind of takes over once I'm comfortable.

EscapeArtist

I see the not shy me as the real me :) It just hasn't come out often at all. This is a great question! But i'm too lazy to answer, so i'll just read other people's answers and not finish my post...