Your Values & Beliefs

dragonoth

I doubt that. You can only say that now because it is something that isn't happening to you. If that really happened to you - I am sure you would appreciate (and accept) a little bit of compassion. One that it seems you yourself are unwilling to give.

It's quite common for people to put the blame on something other than themselves. And yes I am unwilling to give it and it will not change for the time being.

prejudice swings both ways

hating people simply because you think they have more than you is just as bad as people hating those who they think have less

helping up the unfortunate in order to level the playing field is an act of love
tearing down the fortunate in order to level the playing field is an act of hate

the truly compassionate person doesn't draw lines. rich, poor, sick, healthy, popular, unpopular - they all deserve equal consideration

Love and hate - you can't have one without the other.

KiaKaha

Banned
prejudice swings both ways

hating people simply because you think they have more than you is just as bad as people hating those who they think have less

helping up the unfortunate in order to level the playing field is an act of love
tearing down the fortunate in order to level the playing field is an act of hate

the truly compassionate person doesn't draw lines. rich, poor, sick, healthy, popular, unpopular - they all deserve equal consideration

It's not so much about drawing lines though or tearing anyone down, the successful are no doubt successful because of certain opportunities and skills that they posses - granted to them to a certain extent by human nature that favours certain traits that are found attractive - really it's about those who have the power to facilitate such change and compassion to take it upon themselves to do so. They have more - so they should *do* more - instead it's self indulgence and looking after their own kind. I am not saying provide - that is dis empowering - all of us know adversity makes you stronger, but not always - what I am saying is support - we SHOULD equal the playing field. It has been proven time and time again that everyone is better off, from education, health, poverty, crime, general happiness - all of that stuff - that societies are better off - and besides, that still doesnt dismiss the fact that just because it isnt happening to you that you have the right not to care.

And yes - I admit, I am a little prejudice toward the rich, the popular and the successful - but I am sure that that has absolutely no effect on their lives whatsoever. However I am pretty sure that prejudice swinging the other way does. (there are certain types of success that I admire more so than others - but then I guess success is all dependent on what one admires and finds important. The majority of us seem to think that success equates to $ though)

It's quite common for people to put the blame on something other than themselves. And yes I am unwilling to give it and it will not change for the time being.

Love and hate - you can't have one without the other.

It is quite common, yes. But that doesnt change the fact that some things should be blamed. There is a difference between personal responsibility and not being able to get ahead (because the less you have the harder it is - and the less likely someone is willing to help you, as you have clearly illustrated) - You are unwilling to extend a gesture of benevolence, and that's fine - no doubt of course until you yourself are in a position of need - but then I wonder - if the person who was willing to help you knew that you would not do the same for them....would they even bother?

Last edited:

kindred

By values and beliefs I mean the 'rules' that you intrinsically live by, the 'rules' that are a part of you and your way of living. Let's hear 'em from you. It doesn't matter what they are, I want to hear them. Here are mine:

1) Fight for your friendships & relationships because they mean something to you, because you believe in them.
2) Do your best in everything.
3) Want the best for yourself.
4) Be a positive influence to others.
5) Beauty on the inside, beauty on the outside.
6) Be fair to others.
7) Do the right thing.
8) In love, his happiness comes first.
9) Love unconditionally.

I know you all have some. And if you don't, you're not thinking about it hard enough. Only post when you've got something!

I'll never fight for anything. I'm into Buddhism and my philosophy is take me as I am. I am who I am, why should I fight anyone who refuses to accept me for who I am.

In regards to relationships, the reason why most relationships fail is because people seem to think that relationships are about what they can get from the other person, rather than what they can bring or provide to make that persons life better or make them a better individual and that's why most relationships fail, simply because people are selfish. Thankfully I'm a Buddhist, so I don't have that problem. :)

TailsAlone

My values are pretty simple. Keep to myself, avoid all conflict, keep in touch with Mom and grandparents, conserve what social energy I have for the few people I really want to talk to (i.e. them) and take everything people say with a grain of salt.

Beliefs...truth is generally relative. Rights are important but they only exist when they are enforced (so let's get around to it). Religion and politics, like most institutions, are illusions that people buy into to feel secure and give meaning to their lives. And most of what's on TV has been crap since the mid-90's.

dragonoth

I'll never fight for anything. I'm into Buddhism and my philosophy is take me as I am. I am who I am, why should I fight anyone who refuses to accept me for who I am.

In regards to relationships, the reason why most relationships fail is because people seem to think that relationships are about what they can get from the other person, rather than what they can bring or provide to make that persons life better or make them a better individual and that's why most relationships fail, simply because people are selfish. Thankfully I'm a Buddhist, so I don't have that problem. :)

For me, the fighting is internal and really serves to drive me forward and to be myself more. Fighting for the things I believe in has always been a part of who I am. I fight in being the best person I can for the people I love, even if they come to distance themselves from me later in life.

Whenever you get in a relationship, I hope you hold those thoughts clear in your mind. And I hope you find someone who reciprocates such thoughts back to you :)

It is quite common, yes. But that doesnt change the fact that some things should be blamed. There is a difference between personal responsibility and not being able to get ahead (because the less you have the harder it is - and the less likely someone is willing to help you, as you have clearly illustrated) - You are unwilling to extend a gesture of benevolence, and that's fine - no doubt of course until you yourself are in a position of need - but then I wonder - if the person who was willing to help you knew that you would not do the same for them....would they even bother?

Honestly, I can't help but feel 'goaded' into furthering this discussion with you :p You may think that it is so bad, that everyone isn't willing to help everyone else around them, but this is the way it's always going to be and I am okay with this. You will think this kind of reasoning is unacceptable, but honestly I could not take hating the world for being this way forever, so I changed and I prefer accepting all the flaws of myself instead of trying to mold myself into my ideal self-image who was nothing short of perfect. In my own way, I will help those I choose to and that's all I can promise. This is just my own personal view on the matter. I am not trying to influence anyone else by voicing them.

Religion and politics, like most institutions, are illusions that people buy into to feel secure and give meaning to their lives.

Illusion or not, if a person can find solace in such things I can't help but envy them :)

KiaKaha

Banned
Honestly, I can't help but feel 'goaded' into furthering this discussion with you :p You may think that it is so bad, that everyone isn't willing to help everyone else around them, but this is the way it's always going to be and I am okay with this. You will think this kind of reasoning is unacceptable, but honestly I could not take hating the world for being this way forever, so I changed and I prefer accepting all the flaws of myself instead of trying to mold myself into my ideal self-image who was nothing short of perfect. In my own way, I will help those I choose to and that's all I can promise. This is just my own personal view on the matter. I am not trying to influence anyone else by voicing them.

Goading has nothing to do with it. I listed my values and beliefs - you expressed your disagreement with them - I stood up for them and explained my reasoning behind why I hold those beliefs. Quite simply, if you dont like the answers....why ask? If anyone is goading - it certainly aint me.

Now I'm done.

dragonoth

Kia - Nah mate, I only furthered the discussion with you because I knew you would give me a good one. Never said anything about disliking your answers though. I think your views are great

11) Do your part in helping the environment.