Diltiazem in familial primary hyperhidrosis

pedro123

Hey guys if this pill actually starts working, have someone add it to the sticky. This sounds promising.

hyperxtechie

i have a doctor appointment for this friday to ask to be put on Diltiazem. But i would like to know, CM, i see that your doing multiple things for your sweating besides the diltiazem, such as the herbal tea and ion machine thing....is it really fair to give much credit to diltiazem alone? or is it all these things combined?

-thanks

That's what I was thinking also. I noticed CM does other things too so all of those may be contributing to him being dry.

In my case, I am not going to be taking or doing anything else. So I'll keep everyone updated if it works for me. I just took my first 120mg dose today.

A lil info on me: I sweat on my palms, feet, and a little from my armpits. It is pretty severe on my hands and feet. Robinul works for me, but I need to fast for the day if I want it to work. It seems as soon as I eat something, the effectiveness goes away. This is why I'm trying Diltiazem out. Because I want to be dry and not starve!

hyperxtechie

any new updates/developments?

This is my 3rd day on the medication and no improvements yet whatsoever. My hands are still sweating a lot as usual and there doesn't seem to be any improvement. I'm taking 240mg total, 120 in the morning & 120 in the evening.

I am still hopeful, however, so I will continue taking the medication and post back an update on Monday. It will be after a week then. If it does start working before then, I will post an update.

pedro123

Thanks again for going through this. I was supposed to see my doctor today and try this out, but I have so much work until October that I didn't want to risk ruining my medication habits.

I hope this works out, my body's building up an immunity to anti-cholinergic meds.

Solo Dolo

This is my 3rd day on the medication and no improvements yet whatsoever. My hands are still sweating a lot as usual and there doesn't seem to be any improvement. I'm taking 240mg total, 120 in the morning & 120 in the evening.

I am still hopeful, however, so I will continue taking the medication and post back an update on Monday. It will be after a week then. If it does start working before then, I will post an update.

not exactly the results i was hoping to hear :'(

cm123

Try to reduce calcium in take as much as possible. Remove milk and diary for the next few days. This medicine hasnt completely eliminated my sweating but has made it so it doesnt drip as much. just like gets damp in certain areas if not at all.... I am considering upping the dosage. I am calling the doctor tomorrow.

cm123

Hey cm123, can I ask how much you were sweating before such that it is now "normal or slightly worse"?

I, for example, had everywhere hypherhidrosis (not the technical term, I know). I take a ton of anticholinergic medication and it controls it. So as long as I am indoors I don't sweat. If I am in the sun, or walking up a hill, I start to sweat a little.

Also did you switch medication (ie. from Avert to this), or did you just put up with your sweating?

Thanks for the info, this is actually really exciting for me as I want to get off of anticholinergic meds. I wouldn't mind the side effects if it was a little more effective at controlling sweating.

I have tried everything. I have tried Avert under the name of Robinul. It works but the side effects are terrible. I use to take it all the time and noticed a negative effect on my memory.

i have a doctor appointment for this friday to ask to be put on Diltiazem. But i would like to know, CM, i see that your doing multiple things for your sweating besides the diltiazem, such as the herbal tea and ion machine thing....is it really fair to give much credit to diltiazem alone? or is it all these things combined?

-thanks

I havent drank the tea or done the machine in two weeks. The temperature has been 100F here outside I sweat pretty bad! I am going to see about upping the dose or taking abit of robinul mix and maybe start my machine again. After i up the dilitl i might stop taking it... idk i am really frustrated and confused about HH in my life right now... things lkdsajflkdsajflkdsajf a

:'(

pedro123

I have tried everything. I have tried Avert under the name of Robinul. It works but the side effects are terrible. I use to take it all the time and noticed a negative effect on my memory.

I too hate the affects it has on my memory. But I can't function in society without it. Also, what do you mean by "It works"? For me it only works if I am indoors and it is cool and i am not moving around. I f I walk around or if I'm in the sun I start sweating again.

Solo Dolo

got my prescription of cardizem LA (Diltiazem) today. I will fill the prescription tomorrow and will most likely start taking it tomorrow or the day after. I will keep you guys up to date.

wannabedry

ok thanks cm123 for reply, ill try the 120 el when i see dr again ill ask for it, im doing the regular release now. seems to work ok? im sweating less then ususal, im definitely not bone dry or anything but i havent been completely soaked like i was before starting the diltiazem, but im only taking 180 mg, im going slow but i will up the dose now.ill also consider mixing in some robinul again soon. did u say u might up the dose and then stop ?? why? so do you take it on empty stomach? it doesnt matter right? the pharmacist said it doesnt but i wanna make sure.ok ill keep you all updated,

Solo Dolo

my doctor would only give me 120mg extended release...they were saying it could make my heart go too slow. even on the 120mg a day they want me to check my blood pressure now and then. idk if this is even enough to help?

cm123

After stopping with Diltiazem for three days I was able to see how much it actually was helping. I believe I am going to start taking 120mg er 2x daily again.

Solo dolo try 120 mg if it isnt working. Just take 2 a day and refill your prescription more often.

Wannabedty: I take back what i said about stopping. I am going to start taking it again. I found it not to matter if you took it on an empty stomach or not. I have read if you get nauseous to not take on an empty stomach.

pedro123

You said "After stopping with Diltiazem for three days I was able to see how much it actually was helping."

did you forget to tell us how much or how little it helped, or did you mean that it actually helped a lot.

Also, have you ever taken anti cholinergic medication before? If so, how do you think it would compare?

Sincerely,

On the edge of my seat

cm123

It definitely helped. It didnt make me bone dry but combined with my ionto treatment it did help all over my body as well. Yes, I have taken anti-cholinergic before such as robinul and probanthine. I believe you will notice a reduction in your sweating wihen you take Diltiazem. It wont cure you but should bring you another step closer to being normal...... Robinul i took extensively for about a year. It helped but the side effects were too much.

pedro123

It definitely helped. It didnt make me bone dry but combined with my ionto treatment it did help all over my body as well. Yes, I have taken anti-cholinergic before such as robinul and probanthine. I believe you will notice a reduction in your sweating wihen you take Diltiazem. It wont cure you but should bring you another step closer to being normal...... Robinul i took extensively for about a year. It helped but the side effects were too much.

I guess what I am asking is whether anticholinergic medication is stronger, or whether Diltiazem is stronger.

Also, do you still get that 'tingling' sensation when your pores are desperately trying to sweat, but the anticholinergics are preventing them from doing so.

And to answer your question, I don't use Ionto. My hands don't sweat (yet), and my feet don't sweat that much. But I might start for my feet.

Solo Dolo

once again gives me a little hope after hearing that it truly did help you. however i hope that the 120mg alone can do a lot for me because my doctor wont give me more and i dont use ionto or anything else. has the diltiazem dropped your blood pressure low or made u feel bad in any way (related to heart)? worst overall side effects? tolerable?

hyperxtechie

I have been on 120mg medication twice a day, only taking this medication. It has not been to my satisfaction. It's not working for me. I'm going to stop taking it now as robinul is much better for me. It may work for others, but it's not effective for me.